Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Author Topic: YouTube is replacing our video hosting  (Read 3749 times)
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,672,467 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:37:30 AM »

Some of you may already be aware, there are some details of our video restructuring mentioned over here:
http://forum.gameanyone.com/index.php?topic=25523

In short, what is happening is we are dropping our video hosting system in favor of YouTube.

To restate what I said before:
YouTube has always been a great companion service to GameAnyone, and as YouTube expands it becomes even clearer. We are already behind on some features (4K, 8K, 360 degrees, HDR, 60+ FPS). There are many features that are still yet to come, some of which we don't have the infrastructure to support.

It will be impossible for us to keep up with YouTube in terms of video technologies, or to even maintain the hosting that we are currently offering. We currently host about 84,000 exclusive videos. You can imagine the cost to maintain this.

In comparison: we index over 1.5 million YouTube videos.

Our video hosting will go dark on October 17. It is important that if you have any exclusive videos on GameAnyone that you do not have backed up locally, that you download and transfer these to YouTube before that day. We have already transferred nearly 10,000 videos to the official GameAnyone YouTube channel, which will allow these videos to remain active. We will transfer another 100 videos per day until the video server goes dark.

To download the videos of yours that have not been transferred, go here: http://www.gameanyone.com/?p=videodownload
This will provide links to each of the video files, as well as a count of the total videos at the bottom. You can use software such as the Firefox add-on DownThemAll, or other download managers to set up the downloads in just a few clicks.

Ideally we would continue our own video hosting and continue to improve it, but that is no longer possible. If there is anyone who doesn't have a fast enough Internet connection and needs assistance in transferring videos, please PM me asap and I can help by downloading the videos to my own drive to upload to YouTube over time.

Expert Noob

Videos: 5,568
Guides: 175

115,264 gold
Give Gold
Games and Manga are my life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 02:21:44 AM »

This....puts a wrench in things, at least for me. I usually add games which either have some form of copyright or are M rated, and the last time I did this on youtube for Saint's Row The Third, it got some claims and I couldn't risk it. And I have a few playlists on here that fall into those categories.

Downloading all those lists to my YT account may take a lot of time since you made this. Heck, when I put in Super Mario World they muted the first video. I know it's to help build up the site and I respect that, it's just I may be limited in adding future playlists.

\"All worlds share the same sky. One Sky, One Destiny\"

(Kingdom Hearts 2, last line of Kairi\'s letter)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mangadude901?feature=mhee
Tech Admin
True Gamer

1,672,467 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:54 AM »

This....puts a wrench in things, at least for me. I usually add games which either have some form of copyright or are M rated, and the last time I did this on youtube for Saint's Row The Third, it got some claims and I couldn't risk it. And I have a few playlists on here that fall into those categories.

We need to follow the same guidelines that YouTube has for videos - we can't host videos that a copyright holder doesn't want us to host. YouTube has evolved their copyright system so it is actually very forgiving now. We have had DMCA takedown requests against our hosted videos before, where we needed to delete videos. But, YouTube's system allows you to go around this in some cases where the copyright holder allows the video to stay up in return for monetization, which is something we cannot do on GameAnyone.

GameAnyone has to follow the same laws and regulations that YouTube abides to.

Expert Noob

Videos: 5,568
Guides: 175

115,264 gold
Give Gold
Games and Manga are my life!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:34:28 AM »

I get that. But still, it's pretty sad that this site's uploader won't be available. I had a lot of playlists here I liked adding, including my Saint's Row and Assassin's Creed vids.

\"All worlds share the same sky. One Sky, One Destiny\"

(Kingdom Hearts 2, last line of Kairi\'s letter)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mangadude901?feature=mhee
Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

Videos: 511
Guides: 13

272,697 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »

When I was on YouTube years ago, I once had Juiced videos on there. But they muted the videos due to copyright infringement because of it's soundtrack. There's nothing I can do about that, it's part of the game. Unless I muted all the tracks, but instead, I'd probably use cuatom soundtracks for the game.

I am the author of Isaac the Runner.
Expert Noob

Videos: 152
Guides: 22

36,240 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Good thing I decided to check the forums today to read about this important update!
Guess I'll be busy with this for the next few hours 

Sad to hear that GA is quitting its own video service, but it makes sense.

Green, green- oops, I'm new at this!
Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

272,697 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »

So, what will happen to GA if YT bans gaming videos?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:21:02 PM by EMPBLMMMSD » Logged

Tech Admin
True Gamer

1,672,467 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »

So, what will happen to GA if YT bans gaming videos?

I doubt that will happen. Gaming videos are some of the most popular videos on YouTube.

Expert Noob

Videos: 152
Guides: 22

36,240 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:59 PM »

The most popular channel on YouTube is a gaming channel.

Green, green- oops, I'm new at this!
Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

272,697 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »

I doubt that will happen. Gaming videos are some of the most popular videos on YouTube.

You're right. But would they allow custom soundtracks for Xbox games? Or would they consider that copyright infringement?

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Jump to: