Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Bloodstained Curse of the...
"Emperor of Darkness"

Sacrifice every adventurer and...

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Future of gaming  (Read 3166 times)
Expert Noob

Videos: 126
Guides: 36

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »

With the push behind AR and VR gaming, do y'all think that this is the new future of gaming? Is this just another "phase"? If neither, what is the future og gaming? Discuss.
Expert Noob

Videos: 152
Guides: 22

36,240 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »

It's probably going to be handheld levels of gaming where everyone wants one of those systems and the newest hype title, but forgets about it after some hours of play.
Without a doubt, VR will stick around for a while because it's new and cool, but it's not going to be "the" next step in gaming.
More accessible for casuals, sure, but the hardcore scene will stick to game pads and TVs.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and in just a few months from now, Pokémon Go will be available for VR systems and everyone will be running around on the streets with one of those things on their heads.
Bad enough with some people not being able to take their eyes off their phone for a few seconds to watch the traffic

Does anyone here have such VR equipment?
What do you all think of it?

Green, green- oops, I'm new at this!
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,663,612 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

I have the Oculus Rift and I absolutely love it. It is the coolest piece of tech that I have ever used. It could definitely be better, but where it is now is a pretty amazing. The future is going to be really cool.

Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

Videos: 301
Guides: 10

188,592 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:51:15 PM »

What's AR and VR?

I am the author of Isaac the Runner.
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,663,612 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »

What's AR and VR?

You really need to learn how to Google things. It can answer 99% of your questions.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AR+and+VR

Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

Videos: 301
Guides: 10

188,592 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »

You really need to learn how to Google things. It can answer 99% of your questions.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AR+and+VR

I'm sorry, but I don't like Google. I prefer Yahoo.

I am the author of Isaac the Runner.
Expert Noob

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 05:22:24 AM »

I have the Oculus Rift and I absolutely love it. It is the coolest piece of tech that I have ever used. It could definitely be better, but where it is now is a pretty amazing. The future is going to be really cool.

It seems really awesome. The idea of playing stuff like the upcoming Resident Evil title in VR is exciting. I wonder, though: How far does it go? We can directly interact with the world, but what about direct movement within the world? I've seen a few people come up with, in essence, "immersion treadmills" that seems...well, a little ridiculous to me.

We're clearly not to THAT point yet, but I wonder how viable that will be years down the road.
green menace
Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

646 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 02:15:42 AM »

I'd go with passing trend, IMO tech is not quite there yet to make it cheap and quality enough.

Expert Noob

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:37 AM »

I'd go with passing trend, IMO tech is not quite there yet to make it cheap and quality enough.

So, you think this will end up like the VR of the mid/late '90s? I don't know if I agree. Sure, things like the Oculus is $600 right now, but I don't think that companies that have started down this road will give up on development anytime soon (Oculus is owned by Facebook, so I'm certain that they will continue to dump money into it).

Then again, playing/moving in VR still looks goofy as hell, so who knows?
Noob

Videos: 110
Guides: 1

19,231 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:49:11 AM »

The VR I've read about thus far seems fairly unimpressive IMO.  Personally, I consider spending my money on current VR tech to be wasteful.

Hardware technology evolves fairly rapidly these days though, so we'll have to see what happens.

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: