Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Resident Evil 4
"What Are They Worth?"

Acquire all of the bottle caps...

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: Recording Skype Calls for Group Commentary?  (Read 2377 times)
Starter

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

5,563 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:45 PM »

Hello there!

Very soon, I will be starting a YouTube gaming commentary channel, just for a bit of fun and something to do and sooner or later, I want to be able to do some group commentaries on particular games. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any methods that made it possible to record Skype calls and if not, what would be a good alternative for recording group commentaries?

I really look forward to any and all replies and thank you very much for your time in advance.

Thanks!
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,668,638 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:43:20 AM »

I believe there is a plugin for Skype that does this, but I think it costs money.

You can record the audio you hear from the call using just about any audio recording program, just select 'Stereo Mix'. You will need to record your mic separately if you do this - Audacity is a good program.

Expert Noob

Videos: 126
Guides: 36

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:38 AM »

I believe that I might be of assistance, since I had to work through similar problems to be able to record with a friend of mine that lives about 2 1/2 hours away from me.

We use a setup that uses a program called join.me to be able to share a screen, send the game audio and talk. We record the actual output via another program called OBS.

Now, I'm gonna be honest--this isn't the best setup in the world. You'll need to be able to record from your PC's stereo mix, and you'll probably need to play with the settings on OBS and join.me to get it to work (it took us a few tries to really get the setup locked in), but 1.) both programs are free to use, and 2.) Once you get the configuration, you shouldn't have to change it ever.

The other big thing is that join.me supports screen-sharing with up to 8 others (I think--I never have to go above 2!)

Hopefully this helps!
Starter

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

5,563 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »

Audacity sounds like a good way to go at the moment. Thank you for the suggestion!

Just to give you guys a bit more detail, the actual game footage has been pre-recorded. I am thinking that if group commentary was going to be a thing, that we would all load up the footage beforehand and then all comment over each pre-recorded part. The join.me method, and thanks for the recommendation, doesn't sound too bad but playing the games live while conversing just isn't something that I can do as a commentator.

I had originally come across a program for Mac called WireTap Studio or something along those lines. The demo was absolutely awesome and recorded a group call without a hitch. The only problem is that of course, it was a demo and after a while, the ability to save recordings had been disabled. Does anyone know of anything that is similar to this program?
Expert Noob

Videos: 126
Guides: 36

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »

You're welcome, although I'm pretty confident you can still use the method I described above. While I use it for live gameplay, its just as easy to use the setup to play a video or run anything else off a computer and screen-share that. As long as you're recording from the stereo mix, it'll pick up everything that goes through your sound card.

Either way, good luck to you!

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: