Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: Why Xvid is still superior to x264 and webm  (Read 3270 times)
Aspie Retrogamer
Average Player

Videos: 2,819
Guides: 806

353,396 gold
Give Gold
HomuMado forever!!!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:10:45 AM »

Yes, Bizhawk 1.9.3 can dump the video output in all three formats. The problem here is that I plan to double the video's resolution to 512 x 480 or so and that will result in an increase in the MB size.

I did tests with a test upload and I found out that a 3x scaled Gameboy video encoded using x264 (204 MB) was only slightly larger than an unscaled Xvid video (<200 MB), and when I encoded it again with webm, the file was even smaller (~60MB). Now, there were two problems - x264 encodes slower than Xvid, and there is nasty desync - the sound lags behind the video. I know I can solve that by encoding video and audio separately, but that requires precise timing and is quite inconvenient.

As for webm, since it cannot be imported to Camtasia Studio, it's only good if I want to upload the video unedited, which means I have to give up the commentary track.

In short, webm's incompatibility, and x264's audio-video desync make them inferior compared to Xvid.

If it moves, kill it!

With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a magical girl, and if you are not a magical girl, you can't control the past. He who can't control the past cannot command the future, and he who is unable to command the future cannot conquer the past.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good ol' days. What were you in your former life?

Commentator on Lotus Flower Games
Noob

Videos: 160
Guides: 10

7,429 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »

It could of course just be your renderer, I have more problem with Xvid than I do with 264. And as for webm, forget it.

One advantage that 264 has over Xvid is that most modern OS's have built in support for it where as Xvid requires a plug-in. Nothing major I know but it is an extra step and people (such as myself) can be lazy
Starter
Videos: 0
Guides: 0

5,512 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »

I know nothing is always right. Thoughts of people, the truth will come true.

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: