Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: best way to record audio commentary  (Read 4853 times)
Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,050 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »

Hey,

I'm new to the forum, been using google like mad to find the answer to my question and it brought me to here.

Basically my issues is this. I've got all gear and no idea! well that's a lie, I'm half way there I just can't figure out for the life of me how to best record my vocals.

I've got an elgato capture card that will allow me to record my old retro consoles, as well as my wii u and mac games. I just can't think of the best way to add commentary. I have a triton headset which I thought would be the answer, however I can't get the mic to work with the wii u....any ideas? And if I do get it working is there likely to be a delay in my voice and the game music?

I've also got a Rode mic which is really good, although its on a stand that gets in my way of the screen so bit awkward to use and also I know the audio will then be ahead of the gameplay as the gameplay is record with a delay.

It's driving me crazy because I have all the games and equipment but just can't for the life of me put it all together, and HELP would be appreciated!

Also should I be using Xsplit or something similar?

So basically I have a wii u, triton kunai (with a mic that doesn't make a sound from the looks of it) and a mac book pro. PLEASE HELP!

Thaanks

Wink
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:10:43 AM by justanotherdj » Logged
Sultan of Speed
Noob

Videos: 399
Guides: 25

71,586 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:04 AM »

If I'm reading your dilemma clearly it seems like you are trying to record the game and your voice in the same program which I wouldn't recommend. I don't use an Elgato personally since I own an HDPVR but I would suggest using Audacity, a free program used for recording voice from mics like yours, to record your commentary separately and the elgato to only record the game, that's what I do at least. It's easier in editing to have two different files for your commentary audio and your game video/audio to make sure that one doesn't over power the other.

Hope this helps you out. 
[/pre]

AfroBattler is the name, videogame playthoughs are my, er, game.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »

What El Gato device are you using? Because I know for sure that the Game Capture HD can output commentary in to a seperate file, as an option. Alternatively, you could try Audacity, as Afro Mentioned, but then you would need to manually sync up the viideo/commentary in an editing program.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Starter

5,523 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:41 AM »

Most of the best game review video i've watch have a good condenser mic.
Gaming Life..
Average Player

Videos: 2,355
Guides: 208

186,916 gold
Give Gold
youtube.com/dsr07mm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »

Most of the best game review video i've watch have a good condenser mic.

You can do studio quality with 10$ headphones as long as microphone is better then those plastic ones "for skype", and yes for that price you can find them. Mine canyone 12$ are having perfect sound, but without filters they are crap and noisy.

Either Audacity for recording or Adobe Audio Effects for livestreaming, cheap combination is VSTHost which doesnt use almost at all CPU. So just searching and taking some time to make everything properly.

Just casual PS4 Trophy Hunter. Not doing videos anymore.

Website | Twitter | Live Stream
Starter

5,510 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »

I understand

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: