Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: YouTube Playlist Syncing  (Read 5772 times)
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,672,605 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:53:38 AM »

This is a feature that has been in development for more than 4 months, and it is just recently getting to the point where it can be used.

It is an extension to adding YouTube walkthroughs using Type 3 on the adder:
"I want to add videos to GameAnyone from a YouTube account that is NOT mine"

If you add just one playlist from a user, our system will then discover their other playlists, and in time, will add them to our database. This currently may take some time to discover their playlists, but the ultimate goal is to get this to be nearly instant.

The idea behind this is to automatically index all of YouTube's walkthroughs by their proper game, etc, and provide additional features to these walkthroughs such as achievement/trophy integration. This makes GameAnyone have more walkthroughs than even YouTube, as we also have 1000's of exclusive guides.

This also opens up many new videos to GameAnyone users who cannot access YouTube due to censorship in their countries.

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »

This also opens up many new videos to GameAnyone users who cannot access YouTube due to censorship in their countries.

Isn't this why we have Exclusives in the first place? O_o

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Tech Admin
True Gamer

1,672,605 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »

Isn't this why we have Exclusives in the first place? O_o

Not at all. Exclusives bring new content to GameAnyone that cannot be found elsewhere. This is a driving force to bring new members to the site.

Although exclusives can be viewed in all countries that can access our site, there are many games that we don't have exclusive walkthroughs for.

Thee Cpt. AwesomeSauce
Average Player

Videos: 462
Guides: 160

64,860 gold
Give Gold
The Dude Who Plays Games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »

I absolutely loved this idea, and have already used it several times to spread the word of a few of my friends. However in doing so I have found one big glaring flaw with the system used for syncing the YouTube playlists.

Here's and example:

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/PC/53493.html

The program as listed the games as Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for the PC. When very clearly you can see the video is in fact for the orginal street fighter arcade game. Is there anyway to fix this, and is something you're working on.

Kitty You're Not Helping!!!!!
Director
Full Player

Videos: 3,367
Guides: 56

406 gold
Give Gold
beep beep car

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

I like this idea, but the execution needs some work.  For starters, it looks like every walkthrough added with this system is listed as "In Progress", so it creates a very large wall of in progress walkthroughs for channels like this.

Another issue I have is with playlists being added that are just a collection of random gameplay videos and not an actual walkthrough/playthrough/LP  Example: http://www.gameanyone.com/game/PS2/46594.html

I also noticed that some of these walkthroughs have glitched titles or are listed under the wrong game.

Once again, I think this could potentially be a good system, but it needs some work.  Maybe add the playlists privately then have you or a trusted director check for and fix any problems and make it public.  This would, of course, require a lot of effort and cooperation, but it would make the site look less like a cluttered mess as it seems to be becoming.  I also remember seeing a rule a long time ago that didn't allow camcorder videos.  Is that rule still in effect?  I've noticed a few of these have been added recently.

Tech Admin
True Gamer

1,672,605 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/PC/53493.html

The program as listed the games as Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for the PC. When very clearly you can see the video is in fact for the orginal street fighter arcade game. Is there anyway to fix this, and is something you're working on.

This happens, as the system is not 100% accurate. The vast majority of the walkthroughs added this way are correct, but in the cases where it is not, we can make tweaks to have the system get better.

I like this idea, but the execution needs some work.  For starters, it looks like every walkthrough added with this system is listed as "In Progress", so it creates a very large wall of in progress walkthroughs for channels like this.
I also remember seeing a rule a long time ago that didn't allow camcorder videos.  Is that rule still in effect?  I've noticed a few of these have been added recently.

They are not all added as In Progress, only the ones that we don't know are complete. After a while, In Progress walkthroughs are automatically marked as Abandoned if they don't have updates - this should clean up the walkthroughs that we don't have enough info about. Some users don't label their videos well, which makes it hard for our system to make a guess. Other users, however, have had 100+ walkthroughs flawlessly added.

We have allowed camcorder videos since around the time we started sorting walkthroughs by popularity - this pushes low quality walkthroughs to the bottom.

I fixed the playlists which you mentioned. Maybe we should have some options for users to correct mistakes - or at least be able to report them. This needs some ideas.

Semi-Noob

Videos: 1,051
Guides: 117

28,288 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »

great idea

the heck is TV?
Starter

Videos: 47
Guides: 6

11,785 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »

I do hope this is fine-tuned to completion with time, this is a hugely beneficial addition to the site for those of us that choose to partake in co-operative play! Thank you!

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: