Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
 Print 

Author Topic: skill points for games?  (Read 18099 times)
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 3,208
Guides: 134

52,310 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »

I'm still not 100% sure what these skill points are. Are they like achievements for games that don't have official achievements? Do they have a title and an associated image and description?
In the case of Hyrule Warriors, they are ribbons that are like how old achievements were. They are classified in 3 categories: Bronze Ribbons, Silver Ribbons, and Gold Ribbons. In the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games, Skill Points were like achievements as well, and for the second and third game they are required in order to unlock the Insomniac Museum. The HD remake of the original 3 games took the lazy way out when it came to trophies and made most of the Skill Points trophies themselves.

In current games, the Skill Points are just bonuses to get on the side, as A Crack in Time doesn't require them to unlock the Insomniac Museum, and you can get the Platinum Trophy for that game without getting a single Skill Point. Future Tools of Destruction also doesn't have Trohies, and they were never patched in, so we could assign Trophies based on the skill points for that game. In Future Tools of Destruction, the Skill Points are split into 3 values: 10 points, 20 points, and 40 points.

When it comes to images, the Ribbons have actual images for them with little diagrams inside. I could take screen shots of them on my almost 100% file and cut them out for you. As for Skill Points, they usually don't have a small image associated with them, but they have a bigger image that is shown basically summarizing the skill point that can be modified.

Another game that actually has a little achievement system is Final Fantasy XII/Final Fantasy XII International. In that game, there is the Sky Pirates Den that gives you littler figures for doing certain challenges. The figures themselves look like 16-bit sprites of the challenge you did and they give a description of it.

Spoiler: Here's and example (hover to show)
In total for Final Fantasy XII there are 30 unlockable reward sprites to obtain by doing certain challenges.

There are many games that have something like this in place if they don't have trophies/achievements. Games on the Nintendo Wii and Wii U especially have this since there is no actual system like this. In terms of the first 3 Ratchet and Clank games, the HD rerelease turned skill points into trophies, so only if you wanted to add the skill point acquistions for the PS2 games only then it'd not be worth it. For games like Hyrule Warriors and Final Fantasy XII, they've made a full on in-game achievement system that has images for them and everything. Just ask me and I can find more games like that and get/create more images for you based on it.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
United States  abe
Expert

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

35,579 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »

I think he's referring to in game achievements in the form of skill points, ribbons, etc. Like how the PS2 versions of Ratchet and Clank have Skill Points that function like trophies or like how in Hryule Warriors there are ribbon awards.
That's pretty much what I was thinking of actually.

Hello everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

52,310 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

That's pretty much what I was thinking of actually.
Do I get some corn for getting that right? Cheesy

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Thee Cpt. AwesomeSauce
Average Player

Videos: 462
Guides: 160

64,860 gold
Give Gold
The Dude Who Plays Games

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »

The first I remember having skill points was Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage that's Gateway to Glimmer for you European fans. And then they repeated this idea of skill points in Year of the Dragon. Basically skill points were basically achievements before they were called achievements. Simple to complicated task one could pull off in games as way off showing off ones skill at a game.

With that being the case could the gaps in the Tony Hawk be considered skill points as well.

Kitty You're Not Helping!!!!!
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,672,605 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »

With that being the case could the gaps in the Tony Hawk be considered skill points as well.

I think this will be up to whoever becomes the 'Expert' of that game. There is still lots of work to be done to make everything work, but once it's all set up, then we can have people apply or compete to become the experts.

United States  abe
Expert

35,579 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »

I think this will be up to whoever becomes the 'Expert' of that game. There is still lots of work to be done to make everything work, but once it's all set up, then we can have people apply or compete to become the experts.
GREAT!!!!!!!!!

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

52,310 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:30 PM »

Sounds like a plan to me.

The first I remember having skill points was Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage that's Gateway to Glimmer for you European fans. And then they repeated this idea of skill points in Year of the Dragon. Basically skill points were basically achievements before they were called achievements. Simple to complicated task one could pull off in games as way off showing off ones skill at a game.

I completely forgot about the Spyro the Dragon games. Yeah, Spyro 2 and 3 had skill points that you had to go out of your way to get so that you could get the Epilogue Book for the ending. Completely forgot about those, which is sad because I LPed those games. Tongue

Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,672,605 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »

Just updating you guys to let you know that this is being worked on.

I did lots of work on this today, but it is a rather complex system, so it isn't quite done yet.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

52,310 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »

I did lots of work on this today, but it is a rather complex system, so it isn't quite done yet.
Eh, we're not going anywhere, and those points in those games aren't either. So you can take you time.  Tongue
Now if you'll excuse me, I have 17 FLV files to convert because of a recording issue that left me with 7 hours of FLV and 6 and a half hours of MP4...

United States  abe
Expert

35,579 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »

That's good to know!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
 Print 

Jump to: