Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Author Topic: How do I listen to the music and have it not picked up  (Read 5042 times)
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

No, that isn't what you said, and would only come into play if you are sending the microphone to the speakers, which would be pointless since we aren't wearing headphones and can hear ourselves just fine.

So your argument against using a compressor is that if you don't need one, you don't need one, and that one use of a compressor is that professionally produced music has compression on the singing?

My "argument" against using a compressor is that you don't really need to use one if you are doing things properly in the first place. I would rather you fix other issues, then rely on a crutch like compression. Of course, if you like the sound compression makes... Then by all means, go for it.  I don't know how you can, though... X_x

And yes, most modern music is compressed... Some by large amounts.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »

My "argument" against using a compressor is that you don't really need to use one if you are doing things properly in the first place. I would rather you fix other issues, then rely on a crutch like compression. Of course, if you like the sound compression makes... Then by all means, go for it.  I don't know how you can, though... X_x

And yes, most modern music is compressed... Some by large amounts.

Right, so multi-million dollar instalments with sound-proofed rooms and professional sound-recording equipment feel the need to use compression on speech because it makes it clear and evens out any difference in recording volume for clarity, as do broadcasters, game studios (yes, every game you've played that has voice acting),  and radio producers, but us home recorders don't need that crutch, we just need to do it right.

Seems legit.

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

Right, so multi-million dollar instalments with sound-proofed rooms and professional sound-recording equipment feel the need to use compression on speech because it makes it clear and evens out any difference in recording volume for clarity, as do broadcasters, game studios (yes, every game you've played that has voice acting),  and radio producers, but us home recorders don't need that crutch, we just need to do it right.

Seems legit.

I would say you're reading in to it too much, but whatever... Just because everybody else does it doesn't mean you should do it.

You can have "Clear" speech without compression. It's called controlling your voice/mic distance. This is what I mean by proper technique.

Broadcast do it because of AES/EBU rules on loudness. Game studios do it for the same reason.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:46:35 PM by DukeVerde » Logged

Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »

I would say you're reading in to it too much, but whatever... Just because everybody else does it doesn't mean you should do it.

You can have "Clear" speech without compression. It's called controlling your voice/mic distance.
Pff, yeah, what do professionals know?

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »

Pff, yeah, what do professionals know?

What do commoners know?

I mean, really... They see the big boys doing, and then think it's cool to do it themselves without actually thinking.

Perfectionist
Full Player

Videos: 14
Guides: 1

13,332 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »

This conversation is already over, Nwolf. Sorry. Tongue But I can always give you something over PMs to think about.

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Jump to: