Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Mirrors Edge
"Vrooom!"

Maintain sprint speed for 30...

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Author Topic: Connecting HD PVR to my TV via HDMI to Componant cable?  (Read 12166 times)
Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »

Blame the Hauppague site mainly, as they are the ones who said it. With the PVR, the best file recording wise for the best picture is .M2TS, which turns the files into an AVC HD file video. Problem is, editors don't like AVC HD video format, so you'll have to convert it, which ArcSoft ShowBiz allows you to do. M-PEG2 just takes less space than some .MP4 files, and I used to convert it to .MP4 but stopped after I noticed quality drops when it came to PS3 footage. As for the 360 and .MP4, the main Hauppauge site just recommends it mainly.  Tongue
Sony editors being finnicky then - other editors can read them just fine. I was told a similar thing when they removed aac encoding from the audio section - "Sony Vegas, a popular video editor used by many of our customers, cannot accept AAC in a TS file (TS is an AVCHD transport stream, which is the native video format used by the encoder chip inside the HD PVR 2)." Figures because Sony developed AVCHD.

I wouldn't recommend using mpeg-2 though unless you absolutely had no choice, and I'm not sure why anyone would say to use it based on the console you're recording, I'm not sure it makes sense to differentiate between console rather than connection. The only thing I can think you could say about the PS3 rather than the XBox would be to not use the RGB Full setting on the PS3 as the Hauppauge records movie levels?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:22:21 AM by CorrosiveTruths » Logged

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
Prismatic Butterfly
Master Noob

Videos: 1,770
Guides: 81

284,687 gold
Give Gold
Miku, pls...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »

OK, so what I'm gonna do is I've bought the Component to HDMI cable I mentioned way pack on the first post today and I'm going to see if I can get that to work, and I'll post an update as to what happens when I do (the delivery estimate says Monday so it'll at least be then.)

End all, be all - I do have the means to connect to a TV with component inputs, but that would mean moving my consoles around, which I'm not keen on doing.

Also keep in mind that if you're using ArcSoft, the best methods are to record PS3 gameplay in .M2TS and then convert it to .MP4 of M-PEG2, and just record 360 gameplay in straight .MP4 format.
Blame the Hauppague site mainly, as they are the ones who said it. With the PVR, the best file recording wise for the best picture is .M2TS, which turns the files into an AVC HD file video. Problem is, editors don't like AVC HD video format, so you'll have to convert it, which ArcSoft ShowBiz allows you to do. M-PEG2 just takes less space than some .MP4 files, and I used to convert it to .MP4 but stopped after I noticed quality drops when it came to PS3 footage. As for the 360 and .MP4, the main Hauppauge site just recommends it mainly.  Tongue
Is that regardless of the Editing software that I would use (I personally use Adobe Premier Pro CS6 - Sony Vegas and I don't seem to get along...) or are they just in general things?  Also, just out of curiosity, are there any recommended settings for the Wii/WiiU?

Also the Arcsoft program that was included with the Hauppauge is Total Media Extreme 2... and I know that this sounds like pretty much the dumbest question ever, but would it be a wise idea to update it?  I get the funny feeling that, if I do, I would need to buy a key or something.
As an alternative, should that happen, I've also tried out Hauppage Capture, but for some reason, while it's able to play sound, and the recording plays it fine in VLC Media Player when I check it, audio and all, however - when I import the recording to Premier and there's no audio... :\ I have a gut feeling that tells me that I need to fiddle with the Audio

Semi-Noob

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »

OK, so what I'm gonna do is I've bought the Component to HDMI cable I mentioned way pack on the first post today and I'm going to see if I can get that to work, and I'll post an update as to what happens when I do (the delivery estimate says Monday so it'll at least be then.)
After you've returned it, might be nice to leave a review stating which device you tried it with; it'll help out other users.

End all, be all - I do have the means to connect to a TV with component inputs, but that would mean moving my consoles around, which I'm not keen on doing.
Is that regardless of the Editing software that I would use (I personally use Adobe Premier Pro CS6 - Sony Vegas and I don't seem to get along...) or are they just in general things?  Also, just out of curiosity, are there any recommended settings for the Wii/WiiU?
They're specific to Sony Vegas / Movie Studio because those products are very popular and quite finicky. Recommended settings make more sense in terms of connection rather than specific devices, the difference between the Wii and the Wii U with a Hauppauge that doesn't have an hdmi-in is purely one of resolution (gamecube and emulated games might be interlaced though). I whack the video quality up and stick it on constant because I have a dedicated FRAPs drive and I change the output framerate to 30.

Also the Arcsoft program that was included with the Hauppauge is Total Media Extreme 2... and I know that this sounds like pretty much the dumbest question ever, but would it be a wise idea to update it?  I get the funny feeling that, if I do, I would need to buy a key or something.
As an alternative, should that happen, I've also tried out Hauppage Capture, but for some reason, while it's able to play sound, and the recording plays it fine in VLC Media Player when I check it, audio and all, however - when I import the recording to Premier and there's no audio... :\ I have a gut feeling that tells me that I need to fiddle with the Audio
I'd use their Capture program, but then it's made for my device, whereas it supports yours more recently :/ If you have sound problems, try turning multiple audio tracks for recording to off. If that doesn't do it, try changing .ts audio from mp2 to aac or the other way and if that fails, try the export to mp4 option from the edit tab, this won't recode the video, simply output it to a different container your editor of choice may have less problems with.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
Prismatic Butterfly
Master Noob

284,687 gold
Give Gold
Miku, pls...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »

If you have sound problems, try turning multiple audio tracks for recording to off. If that doesn't do it, try changing .ts audio from mp2 to aac or the other way and if that fails, try the export to mp4 option from the edit tab, this won't recode the video, simply output it to a different container your editor of choice may have less problems with.
So for some reason, there isn't a way in the Hauppage Capture program to change the audio codec, however This Plugin for Premier Pro seems to be the thing that I might need... It's fairly expensive though... (€279, which in proper money is about £220) and, for CS6 anyway - it needs to be v6.0.1 or something, (latest update for PP CS6 is 6.0.5) but I'm pretty sure a quick Google search can find a... cheaper... method of getting it... *cough*

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

So for some reason, there isn't a way in the Hauppage Capture program to change the audio codec, however This Plugin for Premier Pro seems to be the thing that I might need... It's fairly expensive though... (€279, which in proper money is about £220) and, for CS6 anyway - it needs to be v6.0.1 or something, (latest update for PP CS6 is 6.0.5) but I'm pretty sure a quick Google search can find a... cheaper... method of getting it... *cough*

That only increases the speed of exporting..and it sounds very shady, since you already get GPU acceleration in the latest releases.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Semi-Noob

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »

Latest stable version is 32168. If you don't have it, get it here.

From the Capture tab, hit the advanced button in the bottom left. Highlight Audio Encoder, and there will be a checkbox that lets you flip between mp2 and aac for .TS audio (at the offered 384kbps even mp2 is pretty much transparent).

There's also the option of using a transcoder to change the container and audio codec to something you know works (I use ffmpeg personally) if that doesn't work, or your hardware disables those options.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:27:22 AM by CorrosiveTruths » Logged

Prismatic Butterfly
Master Noob

284,687 gold
Give Gold
Miku, pls...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »

From the Capture tab, hit the advanced button in the bottom left. Highlight Audio Encoder, and there will be a checkbox that lets you flip between mp2 and aac for .TS audio (at the offered 384kbps even mp2 is pretty much transparent).

There's also the option of using a transcoder to change the container and audio codec to something you know works (I use ffmpeg personally) if that doesn't work, or your hardware disables those options.
I have that version, and all I get from the advanced options button is this:
Spoiler: Spoiler'd for large image (hover to show)
Undecided
---

In other news: So, got my Component to HDMI cable today... (a day later than what they said... typical. Roll Eyes )Theory being that I thought the HD PVR converts to a Digital signal (which is apparently how HDMI works as well) to capture for the computer...

Turns out that isn't the case and the cable doesn't work, as Corrosive said... Oh well... :|  I do have a TV that can has a Component in, so Guess I'll be using that and moving consoles all over the place then.

Semi-Noob

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:10:03 AM »

I have that version, and all I get from the advanced options button is this:

Undecided
---
I figured it may have fewer options, but you can't even do framerate conversion? That kinda sucks :/ Capture probably not a good idea then.

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Jump to: