Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Connecting HD PVR to my TV via HDMI to Componant cable?  (Read 12898 times)
Spiral Dreamer
Master Noob

Videos: 1,821
Guides: 85

290,808 gold
Give Gold
Leave it to Uzume Tennonboushi!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »

As I've recently said in my EZcap being stupid thread, I've recently acquired a Hauppauge HD PVR.  Now I've had a fiddle with it, and it works (mainly be just having my Xbox 360 plugged into it via the component in the back) but there's a decent amount of Lag between when I do something and when it gets done on the recording screen, meaning that I should probably get a component cable to go between the Hauppauge and my TV...

My problem is thus: My TV doesn't have the connectors for component/YPbBr cables, so now I'm wondering how I would be connecting my TV to the PVR.  I've had a look at Amazon and I think that something along the lines of this might be the solution to all my problems...

The thing is, I've also gone and looked at the reviews and a lot of them mention that it might not work without a Digital - Analogue converter.  Do I actually need one to get my recording setup to work as if that's the case I think It might be better (read: cheaper) to just buy a Composite cable and whenever I need to record to just move everything (Console, Laptop, HDPVR etc) to a TV that does have the required connections... I don't really want to do that, but if I don't have a choice in the matter then I will do it as I really want to start recording things in HD without upscaling/forcing it.

Any and all ideas, especially if anyone else has tried this setup, would probably be helpful.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,750
Guides: 113

35,441 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »

First off, which model of HD PVR do you have? Do you have the HD PVR 1212, the HD PVR 1445, the HD PVR 2, or the HD PVR Rocket?
It'll help knowing which one you have.
Spoiler: HD PVR 1212 (hover to show)
Spoiler: HD PVR 1445 (hover to show)
Spoiler: HD PVR 2 (hover to show)

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »

As I've recently said in my EZcap being stupid thread, I've recently acquired a Hauppauge HD PVR.  Now I've had a fiddle with it, and it works (mainly be just having my Xbox 360 plugged into it via the component in the back) but there's a decent amount of Lag between when I do something and when it gets done on the recording screen, meaning that I should probably get a component cable to go between the Hauppauge and my TV...

My problem is thus: My TV doesn't have the connectors for component/YPbBr cables, so now I'm wondering how I would be connecting my TV to the PVR.  I've had a look at Amazon and I think that something along the lines of this might be the solution to all my problems...

The thing is, I've also gone and looked at the reviews and a lot of them mention that it might not work without a Digital - Analogue converter.  Do I actually need one to get my recording setup to work as if that's the case I think It might be better (read: cheaper) to just buy a Composite cable and whenever I need to record to just move everything (Console, Laptop, HDPVR etc) to a TV that does have the required connections... I don't really want to do that, but if I don't have a choice in the matter then I will do it as I really want to start recording things in HD without upscaling/forcing it.

Any and all ideas, especially if anyone else has tried this setup, would probably be helpful.
Since you aren't just connecting via HDMI, I'll assume you have an HD PVR. An el-cheapo solution would be to go crazy-go-mad and plug your green cable into the composite input on your TV. Since the green cable caries Luma you'll get a black & white version of your gameplay on your TV without the delay associated with what your PC displays from the capture box. Maybe.

You could also get an AV converter box to sit betwixt the PVR and your TV.

That cable won't work.

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

35,441 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

sni
After rereading this, it sounds like you're trying to play the games based off of the image that is generated on the computer. Are you doing that?
Because you definitely should not be. Reason is because the HD PVR takes the signal from the console, encodes it, and sends the signal back to your computer through the USB cable. As a result, there is a 3-5 second delay of what you're seeing, and what you're actually doing on the system as there is no input lag when connected to a TV and using the TV as the main display. All HD Capture cards do this.

If you have the HD PVR 2, then you can connect your HDMI cable to the HDMI Out slot on the back, and then have the component cables running into the Component Adapter. If you have the old model, the 1212 or the 1445, then you'll need to get a component to HDMI adapter since the old models didn't support HDMI.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Spiral Dreamer
Master Noob

290,808 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »

First off, which model of HD PVR do you have? Do you have the HD PVR 1212, the HD PVR 1445, the HD PVR 2, or the HD PVR Rocket?
It'll help knowing which one you have.
It looks like the first one, but the Model no is 2128... :\

After rereading this, it sounds like you're trying to play the games based off of the image that is generated on the computer. Are you doing that?
Because you definitely should not be. Reason is because the HD PVR takes the signal from the console, encodes it, and sends the signal back to your computer through the USB cable. As a result, there is a 3-5 second delay of what you're seeing, and what you're actually doing on the system as there is no input lag when connected to a TV and using the TV as the main display. All HD Capture cards do this.

If you have the HD PVR 2, then you can connect your HDMI cable to the HDMI Out slot on the back, and then have the component cables running into the Component Adapter. If you have the old model, the 1212 or the 1445, then you'll need to get a component to HDMI adapter since the old models didn't support HDMI.
I am aware of that, I was doing that to test if it worked (the Hauppage is second hand)

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

35,441 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:32 AM »

It looks like the first one, but the Model no is 2128... :\
I am aware of that, I was doing that to test if it worked (the Hauppage is second hand)
If it's a 1212, which I'm assuming, then yes you'll need an HDMI to Component adapter in order for it to be connected to your TV. That model also only supports up to 1080i just so you know, so you're better off recording in 720p.

Spiral Dreamer
Master Noob

290,808 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

If it's a 1212, which I'm assuming, then yes you'll need an HDMI to Component adapter in order for it to be connected to your TV. That model also only supports up to 1080i just so you know, so you're better off recording in 720p.

So that Cable I suggested won't work then...?  That's gonna suck.

I was going to record/render in 720p anyway.  I've always felt that 1080 is an extreme too far for me (and also eats precious HDD space)

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

35,441 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »

So that Cable I suggested won't work then...?  That's gonna suck.

I was going to record/render in 720p anyway.  I've always felt that 1080 is an extreme too far for me (and also eats precious HDD space)
It does, oh believe me it does. As for the cable, there is a chance it'll work, as I've gotten some 3rd party stuff to work on PVRs before. Sometimes they might lock you out of brightness controls though, so be careful.

Also keep in mind that if you're using ArcSoft, the best methods are to record PS3 gameplay in .M2TS and then convert it to .MP4 of M-PEG2, and just record 360 gameplay in straight .MP4 format.

Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »

It does, oh believe me it does. As for the cable, there is a chance it'll work, as I've gotten some 3rd party stuff to work on PVRs before. Sometimes they might lock you out of brightness controls though, so be careful.

Also keep in mind that if you're using ArcSoft, the best methods are to record PS3 gameplay in .M2TS and then convert it to .MP4 of M-PEG2, and just record 360 gameplay in straight .MP4 format.
Out of curiosity, why would you recommended different containers for different consoles and converting to MPEG-2 in an mp4 container?

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

35,441 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »

Out of curiosity, why would you recommended different containers for different consoles and converting to MPEG-2 in an mp4 container?
Blame the Hauppague site mainly, as they are the ones who said it. With the PVR, the best file recording wise for the best picture is .M2TS, which turns the files into an AVC HD file video. Problem is, editors don't like AVC HD video format, so you'll have to convert it, which ArcSoft ShowBiz allows you to do. M-PEG2 just takes less space than some .MP4 files, and I used to convert it to .MP4 but stopped after I noticed quality drops when it came to PS3 footage. As for the 360 and .MP4, the main Hauppauge site just recommends it mainly.  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: