Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Silent Hill 2
"Hard to Hit"

Receive less than 500 points...

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Why are ps2 emulators so sketchy?  (Read 12150 times)
Noob

Videos: 24
Guides: 2

15,069 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »

Every Ps2 Emulator I've come across has been extremely laggy/fps drop and just all and all terrible. Why is this?
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,903
Guides: 122

39,466 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41:00 AM »

The PSX2 running with low framerate has nothing to really do with the emulator. The laggy and large framerate drops are entirely because you're computer can't run it properly. I know that I have PSX2 and it runs just fine on my computer.

Other reason is because the PS2 is actually interesting once you learn about all the multiple things running at the same time in the PS2. Multiple parts function at once in the PS2, which is why emulation for it took a while to really get down, and it's still not perfect really when compared to say the Dolphin Emulator for the GameCube and Wii.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »

This is why you get a PS2 and forget about sketchy emulation. Tongue

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Semi-Noob

Videos: 176
Guides: 4

15,954 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »

Every Ps2 Emulator I've come across has been extremely laggy/fps drop and just all and all terrible. Why is this?
Clean room reverse engineering is really, really hard. Especially when you aren't being paid.

Saying that, all emulators are a bit flaky aren't they? Well, they either run accurately and slowly, or fast and inaccurately depending on if you're trying to use hardware acceleration or not.

Check out my Let's Play of Silent Hill 4: The Room.

1080p widescreen with corrected aspect ratio (no stretching). Also in Pro Logic 2 surround, because someone told me you can't.
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

39,466 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

This is why you get a PS2 and forget about sketchy emulation. Tongue
There is also this.  Tongue
For me, my original slim PS2 of 10 years was on it's last legs, it was showing it in my Re: Chain of Memories LP. So I ordered a brand new one to replace it. PS2s, while a little more expensive that say buying a new GameCube or Original Xbox, will last a long time. It's always better to get the system than to fully rely on emulation, especially from the 6th gen to the current one.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »

There is also this.  Tongue
For me, my original slim PS2 of 10 years was on it's last legs, it was showing it in my Re: Chain of Memories LP. So I ordered a brand new one to replace it. PS2s, while a little more expensive that say buying a new GameCube or Original Xbox, will last a long time. It's always better to get the system than to fully rely on emulation, especially from the 6th gen to the current one.

My old Fat PS2, that I bought refurbished 11 years ago, is still working... Although it does make this weird noise when a disc loads for the first time. <_< But, yes, if you take care of the system it will last you quite a long time.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

39,466 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »

My old Fat PS2, that I bought refurbished 11 years ago, is still working... Although it does make this weird noise when a disc loads for the first time. <_< But, yes, if you take care of the system it will last you quite a long time.
Mine was that the laser reader was screwing up, and it actually stopped reading the disc in the middle of it with the disc also not spinning. It would restart a few seconds later, but it was still a good indicator that my PS2 was being pushed past its limits. I mean for one, it was modified years ago to make it region free, so that probably took some life out of it. If I could replace the laser reader and the track for it I'm sure it'd do better, but I can't find the track for my system's model.

But yeah, if you care for the system then it'll last long. That holds true to my Sega Genesis Model 2 which is over 2 decades old and still works like a charm. Just need a new AC adapter for it really.

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »

Mine was that the laser reader was screwing up, and it actually stopped reading the disc in the middle of it with the disc also not spinning. It would restart a few seconds later, but it was still a good indicator that my PS2 was being pushed past its limits. I mean for one, it was modified years ago to make it region free, so that probably took some life out of it. If I could replace the laser reader and the track for it I'm sure it'd do better, but I can't find the track for my system's model.

But yeah, if you care for the system then it'll last long. That holds true to my Sega Genesis Model 2 which is over 2 decades old and still works like a charm. Just need a new AC adapter for it really.

Well older flash/ram based systems will always last longer, as they don't contain moving parts.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

39,466 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »

Well older flash/ram based systems will always last longer, as they don't contain moving parts.
True, they don't. Only console that uses cartridges that has issues is my NES, but that's because of that retarded CIC chip that Yamauchi forced into the console that can go haywire and cause the console to go into permanent reset mode. Just need to open up my NES and clip that chip for it to work again, and while I'm at it probably reset the pins on the cartridge reader. But I also have a toploader NES so I'm in no hurry. 

Aspie Retrogamer
Average Player

Videos: 2,816
Guides: 805

351,846 gold
Give Gold
HomuMado forever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

your system must be underpowered. fx-8320 + 8gb ram required for 60fps of ps2 emulation

If it moves, kill it!

With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a magical girl, and if you are not a magical girl, you can't control the past. He who can't control the past cannot command the future, and he who is unable to command the future cannot conquer the past.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good ol' days. What were you in your former life?

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: