Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
The Evil Within 2
"The Team Psychologist"

Found a potential ally in The...

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: DK64 and Project64  (Read 9009 times)
Noob

Videos: 14
Guides: 1

15,354 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »

Donkey Kong 64 was one of my favorite games growing up, and I want to LP it when I'm done other projects. However, my finances are too limited for a capture card, and PJ64 doesn't seem to like the ROM of DK64.

And when I say it doesn't like it, I mean it REALLY doesn't like it. Far too often, if I hit a tree at the wrong angle, I immediately get teleported to the beginning of the level. Kind of a killer with some of the majorly long levels, espcially if I'm doing live commentary.

Has anyone been able to make it work? If so, what plug-ins do you use, and what version of PJ64 do you use? I've used PJ64 1.6, 1.7, and 2.0, and I've used the Jabo video plugin and Glide64 :/
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,473
Guides: 106

39,080 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:05:52 PM »

There is a reason that Donkey Kong 64 doesn't work in emulators, and it's actually the same reason why Nintendo never released the game on Virtual Console. DK64 had a terrible game breaking bug in the original N64 cartridge, and that's why the Memory Expansion Pack was made. The games coding requires the Expansion Pack to be present for the game to even function. This code was developed by Rareware, and is a pain in the ass to emulate. I don't think Project 64 actually can emulate the Expansion Pack at all, which is where the problems start showing up.

Due to the coding problems, Nintendo was never able to fix the bugs that plauged DK64 and so they never released it on the Wii's Virtual Console, because if they did it would result in the same problems that DK64 has on Project 64.

So DK64 is one of those rare (pun not intended) that won't actually work with emulators. There are other games like it, such as the Misadventures of Tron Bonne not being compatible with the PSX or PSX2 emulator in that the emulator won't load most of the time, and when it does the graphics are screwed up to making the game impossible. At least for DK64 you can get that game and the expansion pack for like $40-$50, Misadventures of Tron Bonne often costs $90-$100 just for the disc...

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Noob

Videos: 14
Guides: 1

15,354 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

DK64 had a terrible game breaking bug in the original N64 cartridge, and that's why the Memory Expansion Pack was made.

Um...
I don't have a Memory Expansion Pack on my N64 and my cartridge works fine.
Weird stuff.

But thanks for letting me know!
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,473
Guides: 106

39,080 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »

Um...
I don't have a Memory Expansion Pack on my N64 and my cartridge works fine.
Weird stuff.

But thanks for letting me know!
Then you do have the Expansion Pak, because that was the only way to fix the bug in DK64. It is literally impossible to beat the N64 cartridge without it because the bugs prevent it. It's why the Expansion Pak was shipped with new copies of DK64, because if they sold the game without it then the game wouldn't work at all. Trying to play the game without the pak should result in the game crashing actually, and if it doesn't crash right away it'll crash soon enough.

Anyway, no problem. I remember the development histroy of DK64 a lot so I just remembered everything for it. Shipping the Expansion Pak with the copies of DK64 cost Rare a fortune though that's for sure. The bug was caught too late in the development to be able to fix it, so the coding for the expansion pak was added into the game cartridge's coding to where it needs both to interact properly. Majora's Mask didn't have this Microcode which is why it works in emulators, but it has issues with textures not loading properly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:15:53 PM by Roxas1359 » Logged

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Isaac the Runner Author
Full Player

Videos: 62
Guides: 4

15,646 gold
Give Gold
Awesome!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »

There is a reason that Donkey Kong 64 doesn't work in emulators, and it's actually the same reason why Nintendo never released the game on Virtual Console. DK64 had a terrible game breaking bug in the original N64 cartridge, and that's why the Memory Expansion Pack was made. The games coding requires the Expansion Pack to be present for the game to even function. This code was developed by Rareware, and is a pain in the ass to emulate. I don't think Project 64 actually can emulate the Expansion Pack at all, which is where the problems start showing up.

Due to the coding problems, Nintendo was never able to fix the bugs that plauged DK64 and so they never released it on the Wii's Virtual Console, because if they did it would result in the same problems that DK64 has on Project 64.

So DK64 is one of those rare (pun not intended) that won't actually work with emulators. There are other games like it, such as the Misadventures of Tron Bonne not being compatible with the PSX or PSX2 emulator in that the emulator won't load most of the time, and when it does the graphics are screwed up to making the game impossible. At least for DK64 you can get that game and the expansion pack for like $40-$50, Misadventures of Tron Bonne often costs $90-$100 just for the disc...

So that's why DK64 requires that expansion pack. I thought it was just because it requires more memory.

I am the author of Isaac the Runner.

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: