Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Resident Evil 4
"What Are They Worth?"

Acquire all of the bottle caps...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
 Print 

Author Topic: Is using a headset mic bad for comentary?  (Read 14392 times)
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,840
Guides: 119

43,054 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »

Really? I figured it would be easier to acquire a job in a metropolitan area... Guess not.
I think it has more to do with the fact that California is broke to be quite honest. It took me two years to get a job, albeit this is my first one, and that's one of the reasons why I didn't start LPing until later. I don't know how the job market is in other states, but here it's pretty tough. Although the minimum wage here is about $8.25 and hour or so.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Average Player

Videos: 765
Guides: 39

93,452 gold
Give Gold
The man who does walkthroughts no one else will do

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »

I never knew pop filters cost that much... Then again, I think I recall Maceman/older directors saying you could just put an old sock on it instead.  Undecided Not that it sounds sanitary, or anything, but I would be rather adverse to putting my mouth close to a worn sock...

You might want to talk to Japan about the Yeti stuff, as I *think* he uses one.

By the way, you make it sound like you live in Idaho, Mactin. XD Jobs aren't too hard to find if you live on the coast.

Sorry to confuse you. I was talking about how much a blue yet mic, pop filter, On Stage Stands MS7701 Tripod Boom Microphone Stand  cost together. I look on the web and a pop filter cost around 16$.

BTW, I been trying to find a job and it is getting harder in the coast.

I think it has more to do with the fact that California is broke to be quite honest. It took me two years to get a job, albeit this is my first one, and that's one of the reasons why I didn't start LPing until later. I don't know how the job market is in other states, but here it's pretty tough. Although the minimum wage here is about $8.25 and hour or so.

I been able to get a job but that when I was in workability in high school and such. I notice that to get a job your going to need to get contracts from the inside.

It good to do let plays

-Mactin

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

43,054 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »

Sorry to confuse you. I was talking about how much a blue yet mic, pop filter, On Stage Stands MS7701 Tripod Boom Microphone Stand  cost together. I look on the web and a pop filter cost around 16$.

BTW, I been trying to find a job and it is getting harder in the coast.

I been able to get a job but that when I was in workability in high school and such. I notice that to get a job your going to need to get contracts from the inside.
Yeah that's usually how it is nowadays, you need to know someone on the inside really.
As for the Blue Yeti, Adventure Andy uses one, but he dropped out of the Director program and I don't seem him on Game Anyone really anymore unfortunately.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

43,054 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »

Question, where are you buying the Mic from, well if you haven't already. Reason is because Amazon is having a sell on the Blue Snowball and Blue Yeti mics, the Platinum version is going for about $99 right now.

And Duke, conragts on makin me feel insecure about my commentary quality so I ended up buying said Blue Yeti mic on sale, mainly though it was because I need a good group mic when recording with friends since the one we use turns to crap the longer we use it.  Tongue
Also because I would a wall mount for it along with an adjuster so then I can still be lazy when recording.  Cheesy

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »

Question, where are you buying the Mic from, well if you haven't already. Reason is because Amazon is having a sell on the Blue Snowball and Blue Yeti mics, the Platinum version is going for about $99 right now.

And Duke, conragts on makin me feel insecure about my commentary quality so I ended up buying said Blue Yeti mic on sale, mainly though it was because I need a good group mic when recording with friends since the one we use turns to crap the longer we use it.  Tongue
Also because I would a wall mount for it along with an adjuster so then I can still be lazy when recording.  Cheesy

Most high end  condenser mics are meant for studio use, and can use adjustable arm mounts and such Tongue. Generally speaking, though, any mic can be used for multiple speakers. It just depends on if you want to physically hand the mic to the rotating participants, or if you want to deal with the risks of omni-directional patterns. Think about what you need, the risks associated with it, and whether you can control your environment. Of course, budget comes first I suppose... I always forget that.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

43,054 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »

Most high end  condenser mics are meant for studio use, and can use adjustable arm mounts and such Tongue. Generally speaking, though, any mic can be used for multiple speakers. It just depends on if you want to physically hand the mic to the rotating participants, or if you want to deal with the risks of omni-directional patterns. Think about what you need, the risks associated with it, and whether you can control your environment. Of course, budget comes first I suppose... I always forget that.
Really I actually don't have a group mic and it's my friend's that we use when recording something while we're in the same room. Other problem would be echo if we all had a different headset, like what happened in my very old L4D2 LP. At least with this we've got some control for it and with some of the better settings on the Blue Yeti I'd be able control noise better.

Plus, it's on sale dammit, and the chances of it being that low are very slim. But budget isn't a problem for me because I pay all my bills first, then use the leftover money for pleasure stuff. Not bad considering I just started school, payed all my bills, and am left now with over $700 in checking and over $200 in savings.  Tongue

If there is one thing I know, it's budgeting.

Aspie Retrogamer
Average Player

Videos: 2,816
Guides: 805

351,846 gold
Give Gold
HomuMado forever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 03:00:27 AM »

Yeah right, I believe that it was one of the culprits why my application to be a director got rejected. I believe that if I get a better microphone, the audio quality would improve, and with that I have a better fighting chance to succeed.

If it moves, kill it!

With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a magical girl, and if you are not a magical girl, you can't control the past. He who can't control the past cannot command the future, and he who is unable to command the future cannot conquer the past.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good ol' days. What were you in your former life?

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

Yeah right, I believe that it was one of the culprits why my application to be a director got rejected. I believe that if I get a better microphone, the audio quality would improve, and with that I have a better fighting chance to succeed.

Funny, because if you thought it was one of the culprits you wouldn't have made that huge, pointless, asp thread and blamed other things. -_-
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:26:05 PM by DukeVerde » Logged

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Super Dino Hunter
Noob

Videos: 157
Guides: 15

762 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »

When I started doing commentary, i was using a really cheap Logitech headset. It was only $20 so you get what you pay for. Then I upgraded to a more expensive Logitech headset, around 50. It did much better than before, but the mic was way too short so it still wasn't the best. Then I was able to get my hands on a Turtle Beach PX21 headset. This time everything was working great, mic quality was good and everything. But it still wasnt enough haha. SO my final mic that I bought was a Blue Snowball. So far its been my best yet, and Im really enjoying it. So to answer your question, it really matters on how much money you want to spend on a mic. To me, if you want great quality with a headset, get a Turtle Beach or Triton headset. But if you want excellent quality, go for a Blue Snowball or Yeti.
Prinny Guard of Awesomeness, Dood!
Noob

Videos: 29
Guides: 3

16,666 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »

To be honest I'm using a basic GE headset mic for my commentary on my LPs.  I used to use the Afterglow Wireless Headset and it didn't sound good at all.  It sounded like total utter crap.  Like I was a robot.  Honestly, I prefer this headset that I'm using now.  I sound really clear and can be easily understood when I'm editing.

" But you must always remember that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Alucard, Castlevania SOTN.
----------------------------------------------
Ryudo: What is this "purify" thing? For some reason, I doubt those knights are packing soap and bubble bath in that armor.

Roan: She means to kill them. I remember one city that was burnt to the ground by the Cathedral Knights.

Ryudo: That's some strong bubble bath.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
 Print 

Jump to: