Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Author Topic: Is using a headset mic bad for comentary?  (Read 13143 times)
Average Player

Videos: 765
Guides: 39

93,452 gold
Give Gold
The man who does walkthroughts no one else will do

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »

Anyone think that headset mic's are bad for LPing games?

It good to do let plays

-Mactin

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:43 AM »

They are a bad choice in general, from a technical and realistic stand point. Of course who can afford otherwise, you know?

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,594
Guides: 110

47,017 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »

They are a bad choice in general, from a technical and realistic stand point. Of course who can afford otherwise, you know?
I have to disagree with that Duke. From a technical standpoint, yes they are inferior in many ways, especially when compared to a Blue Yeti.
From a realistic standpoint though, they aren't because who can honestly afford a really good mic early on unless they have a job, their parents are buying everything for them, or save a lot of birthday and Christmas money.
You also have to take into consideration the possible room size and acoustics one has to deal with in your room, and how the person likes playing their games. I know I for for love to lounge on my bed when playing my games, and with where my door is having a group mic on a stand wouldn't work at all unfortunately.

Basically what I'm saying is that headset mics aren't bad in a realistic sense, however there is one catch to this. Don't expect good quality from a cheap mic. I personally use a Logitech G330 Gaming Headset and it has done wonders for me, provided the mic is fiddled with and is the right distance from my face. Of course I don't generally plug the mic directly into my sound card, I use the adapter that turns the mic into a USB Headset and the quality sounds much better I think. Of course my adapter broke so I've not recorded anything because I don't want a sudden dip in quality, so I'll just sit here and wait patiently for the replacement to arrive, seeing as stores here no longer carry the adapter.  Undecided

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

I have to disagree with that Duke. From a technical standpoint, yes they are inferior in many ways, especially when compared to a Blue Yeti.
From a realistic standpoint though, they aren't because who can honestly afford a really good mic early on unless they have a job, their parents are buying everything for them, or save a lot of birthday and Christmas money.
You also have to take into consideration the possible room size and acoustics one has to deal with in your room, and how the person likes playing their games. I know I for for love to lounge on my bed when playing my games, and with where my door is having a group mic on a stand wouldn't work at all unfortunately.

Basically what I'm saying is that headset mics aren't bad in a realistic sense, however there is one catch to this. Don't expect good quality from a cheap mic. I personally use a Logitech G330 Gaming Headset and it has done wonders for me, provided the mic is fiddled with and is the right distance from my face. Of course I don't generally plug the mic directly into my sound card, I use the adapter that turns the mic into a USB Headset and the quality sounds much better I think. Of course my adapter broke so I've not recorded anything because I don't want a sudden dip in quality, so I'll just sit here and wait patiently for the replacement to arrive, seeing as stores here no longer carry the adapter.  Undecided

Again, if that's all you have then yes, go for it.

You asked if it was bad for commentary...and I said it is, because it is. You have to deal with cross talk, as in sound leaking in to the mic from the headphones, the boom mic will likely catch the sound of things behind you, and USB power...which isn't always the cleanest source. It's not about cheapness, as cheap anything is likely going to suck, but if you are getting an expensive headset why not just grab a real mic, and cheapen out on the headphones?

By the way, there are studio arms and stands for analogue mics. So you don't need to feel restricted to where you sit, etc. So, realistically, you can make your recording set up work if you apply it properly. Tongue As far as acoustics go, unless your talk in to a wall, it shouldn't matter too much unless you want that studio quality. I mean, I live by an Air Base and I have jets flying low over my house all the time, and none of that extraneous sound gets recorded.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:40:20 AM by DukeVerde » Logged

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

47,017 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »

snip
The sound bleeding is an issue yes, but more of one when playing PC games and not console games. If you are using an HD Capture card there will be delay in the video being shown on you computer when compared to the TV, so you can easily mute it. When it comes to the mix itself if it had a volume control then simply lower it all the way, or go into the mixer and lower it. To help with the background noise just simply get a foam cover for the mic, albeit where I live you have to order these online unfortunately.

As for different mic stands, perhaps I wasn't as clear. The only way I'd be able to use one of those in my room is if I were to put it on the table I have about 4 feet from me. I lay on my bed when gaming because I'm never comfortable in a chair. Personally I'd love a new mic that's an actual mic, but when it comes how it is you can get a bit more freedom with a headset then an actual mic at times.

Different strokes I guess.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »

The foam covers aren't for background noise, they are pop filters.... Me thinks you should read up on things, if you ever do decide to get a real mic. Tongue

Average Player

Videos: 765
Guides: 39

93,452 gold
Give Gold
The man who does walkthroughts no one else will do

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:53 PM »

Whoa I did not expect  a debate here. Anyway, I might get a blue yeti mic but it along with other things I need like a pop filter costs around 140$. I don't have a job and where I'm from it kinda hard to get a job. My Logitech G230 has done a good job but I feel the mic could be better in a way.

It good to do let plays

-Mactin

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

Whoa I did not expect  a debate here. Anyway, I might get a blue yeti mic but it along with other things I need like a pop filter costs around 140$. I don't have a job and where I'm from it kinda hard to get a job. My Logitech G230 has done a good job but I feel the mic could be better in a way.

I never knew pop filters cost that much... Then again, I think I recall Maceman/older directors saying you could just put an old sock on it instead.  Undecided Not that it sounds sanitary, or anything, but I would be rather adverse to putting my mouth close to a worn sock...

You might want to talk to Japan about the Yeti stuff, as I *think* he uses one.

By the way, you make it sound like you live in Idaho, Mactin. XD Jobs aren't too hard to find if you live on the coast.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

47,017 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »

I never knew pop filters cost that much... [/spoiler]
They can be, depending on the brand really. Also, I'm sorry that I didn't know they were called pop filters  Undecided,  but I generally don't feel the need to justify spending over $100 on a mic really because they can be expensive. As for jobs, don't know where you live but I live on the West Coast and here it can be a pain in but to get a job here.

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

37,884 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

I never knew pop filters cost that much... [/spoiler]
They can be, depending on the brand really. Also, I'm sorry that I didn't know they were called pop filters  Undecided,  but I generally don't feel the need to justify spending over $100 on a mic really because they can be expensive. As for jobs, don't know where you live but I live on the West Coast and here it can be a pain in but to get a job here.

Really? I figured it would be easier to acquire a job in a metropolitan area... Guess not.

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Jump to: