Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Metal Gear Solid V The...
"Legend"

Obtain all trophies.

Poll
Question: What Devices Would You Go for?
Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition High Definition Game Capture Device - 2 (66.7%)
Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder - 0 (0%)
Roxio Game Capture HD Pro - 0 (0%)
Elgato Game Capture HD - 1 (33.3%)
Others(Thats Better for You) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Author Topic: What Devices Would You Go for?  (Read 11374 times)
TO THE REAL MISTER MIYAGI! - Green St. Hooligans
Average Player

Videos: 110
Guides: 7

13,603 gold
Give Gold
Enjoying the view here .

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »

My birthday is coming up so I'm wondering on what devises are worth every cent for . So here is something that you can think about . Pick wisely and leave feedback why Smiley .

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »

Devices...  From your list I would choose El Gato. SInce they have good support as well. However, I'm not really sure how well the Gamer HD works, maybe someone else can provide that information.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

TO THE REAL MISTER MIYAGI! - Green St. Hooligans
Average Player

Videos: 110
Guides: 7

13,603 gold
Give Gold
Enjoying the view here .

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »

Well thanks anyway  Grin

Expert Noob

Videos: 255
Guides: 15

41,587 gold
Give Gold
In the end, there is only Deth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »

I havethe Elgato and its a good recorder for HD, probably the best. The problem is, its ONLY for HD systems because it uses HDMI cables. That means only 360, PS3, and Wii U. anything else, I would go for the Roxio

Gaming Life..
Average Player

Videos: 2,355
Guides: 208

186,916 gold
Give Gold
youtube.com/dsr07mm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

@YurikaJoe Sorry for jumping in this thread but I'm looking for same answer hopefully you dont mind if I ask couple questions Smiley

I havethe Elgato and its a good recorder for HD, probably the best. The problem is, its ONLY for HD systems because it uses HDMI cables. That means only 360, PS3, and Wii U. anything else, I would go for the Roxio

Wait, my hd7950 does have 2 hdmi jacks, can Elgato then be used to record PC footage ? I'm new to this and I have near 15 days to decide and go for one capture card. I will be getting xbox360 and ps3 but I'm mainly PC gamer + since PS4 will be able to record via hdmi sometime later I will be using for that aswel.

Just casual PS4 Trophy Hunter. Not doing videos anymore.

Website | Twitter | Live Stream
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,907
Guides: 121

46,892 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »

@YurikaJoe Sorry for jumping in this thread but I'm looking for same answer hopefully you dont mind if I ask couple questions Smiley

Wait, my hd7950 does have 2 hdmi jacks, can Elgato then be used to record PC footage ? I'm new to this and I have near 15 days to decide and go for one capture card. I will be getting xbox360 and ps3 but I'm mainly PC gamer + since PS4 will be able to record via hdmi sometime later I will be using for that aswel.
All the HD capture cards that have HDMI Input should be able to record PC gameplay. So that means that you'll be able to do so with the HD PVR 2, Roxio HD Game Capture Pro, Elgato HD, and the AverMedia Player.
Out of them all though the Elgato HD produces the best quality.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it with the Elgato, and this tutorial is similar on how to do it with the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Gaming Life..
Average Player

186,916 gold
Give Gold
youtube.com/dsr07mm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »

@Roxas1359, thanks for explaining Smiley

One more thing, at first I thought that capture cards arent using any resource from PC when I'm recording on that same PC, I'm kinda worried about that but I guess that cpu/ram usage is minimal comparing to Fraps and other screen recording softwares ?

Also they are all recording in 30fps at 1080p resolution so I'm worried about choppiness since there are games which doesnt looks very smooth on 30fps especially with new gen consoles which will work on 60fps, or after rendering everything is back in place ? Simply is it even worth to buy one of those for next couple years ?

And yes I'm most concerned about output file. I saw that there are couple formats and filesize is usually same as Fraps in even better quality, but is it possible to render those files in Premiere or Capture Software (after recording session) with same settings as I used to do before ? I wouldnt like to record 720p resolution with 2gb files for 20min, I have my settings and my 2mb upload I'm used to have 1gb per file at most for 20-25min footage. I've seen that Elgato can record at h264 with 30mb/s, so after 50gb of video footage I would like to re-render that in h264 with my settings (lower bitrate etc) without loosing too much quality ? Fraps output files were uncompressed so that is why I'm concerned.

One more time sorry @YurikaJoe for jumping in your thread but hopefully it will help even you in deciding or at least someone will find answers helpful.

Master Noob

Videos: 921
Guides: 88

159,741 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »

I have a Live Gamer HD and even when the game is 60+ fps the file is quite smooth. There's a big difference when you play at 60 and record 30 and when you play 30 record 30. [email protected] file is always smoother even if it's 30fps (dxtory must contain 60+ for the file to be smooth, that's rarely the case for capture cards).

And with capture cards you might encounter an issue of screen tearing when recording PC, so you'll pretty much will have to use VSync, but even then it doesn't always help. Also, you can't use custom sound card settings (equalizer, surround, bass, etc.), only pure default stereo settings, because the effect will duplicate on the user end too, so if the viewer has custom settings, the sound quality will be unbearable.
Pretty much how it works without VSync is, if you capture [email protected], everything that goes over 30fps will/might produce screen tear in the recorded file, you might not experience it while playing.

I pretty much have Live Gamer HD but I hate everything about it except video quality (not the sound). There's so many issues with sound (quality and file sync) and fps loss that it's not even worth starting.

edit: hardware encoder is hardware encoder, you won't get lossless, but the in the end, youtube will make it look like shit anyway.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:21:23 PM by RazrBit » Logged
Gaming Life..
Average Player

186,916 gold
Give Gold
youtube.com/dsr07mm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »

I have a Live Gamer HD and even when the game is 60+ fps the file is quite smooth. There's a big difference when you play at 60 and record 30 and when you play 30 record 30. [email protected] file is always smoother even if it's 30fps (dxtory must contain 60+ for the file to be smooth, that's rarely the case for capture cards).

And with capture cards you might encounter an issue of screen tearing when recording PC, so you'll pretty much will have to use VSync, but even then it doesn't always help. Also, you can't use custom sound card settings (equalizer, surround, bass, etc.), only pure default stereo settings, because the effect will duplicate on the user end too, so if the viewer has custom settings, the sound quality will be unbearable.
Pretty much how it works without VSync is, if you capture [email protected], everything that goes over 30fps will/might produce screen tear in the recorded file, you might not experience it while playing.

I pretty much have Live Gamer HD but I hate everything about it except video quality (not the sound). There's so many issues with sound (quality and file sync) and fps loss that it's not even worth starting.

Those two facts are kinda ok for me personally, I dont have any custom audio settings and I'm always playing with Vsync on only when I'm doing benchmarks and testing my gpu limit I'm disabling it. Yeah I kinda have more negative experiances for Avermedia Live, thinking between Hauppage and Elgato so far. From official tests on youtube I'm actually seeing better quality with Hauppage while more people are telling me that Elgato have better quality..also I'm seeing a lot audio desync videos on youtube and it's always youtube who is doing that, I didnt encounter any of those issues so far with Fraps. Anyways it's gonna be Hauppage or Elgato in my case Smiley

Glorified Tree
Director
Full Player

Videos: 1,658
Guides: 46

37,884 gold
Give Gold
Barking up the wrong tree!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »

Those two facts are kinda ok for me personally, I dont have any custom audio settings and I'm always playing with Vsync on only when I'm doing benchmarks and testing my gpu limit I'm disabling it. Yeah I kinda have more negative experiances for Avermedia Live, thinking between Hauppage and Elgato so far. From official tests on youtube I'm actually seeing better quality with Hauppage while more people are telling me that Elgato have better quality..also I'm seeing a lot audio desync videos on youtube and it's always youtube who is doing that, I didnt encounter any of those issues so far with Fraps. Anyways it's gonna be Hauppage or Elgato in my case Smiley

There is no audio desync with Fraps, because Fraps records it without sending it over a line.

To be a tree your bark has to be worse than your bite.

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Jump to: