Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Author Topic: Pc recorders  (Read 10795 times)
Expert Noob

Videos: 318
Guides: 17

15,054 gold
Give Gold
More classic than history!

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »

Okay I know that fraps is somewhat decent to use to record but... now today when I'am trying to record Overlord  or Other games it kinda laggs when I'am recording. There is noting wrong with my PC since it's a Pro gaming PC which can handle any kinda game.

So I'am wondering what recorders are good to use for PC gaming?

Way past cool, Are you looking for some sweet old retros? I am the man of the choice, Play again crash.

My Youtube name is Evilsoshi.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/evilsoshi
Xbox live: BoomBoomBouble
Stream: RedBloodScorpion (aka) '' KarlssonPĆ„Taket ''
Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,663,612 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »

You said it; Fraps is king.

If it is lagging when recording, I would check your hard drive and recording settings. Record no larger than 720p at 30fps. If you want really smooth recordings, or you want to record in 1080p, consider getting a SSD.

I haven't had any real luck with any recorders besides Fraps. You could always try Camtasia, but I think this lags more than Fraps.

I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,749
Guides: 113

35,441 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »

Fraps is your best bet to be quite honest. If not there is Camtasia.
The HD PVR 2 can also record PC gaming as it can record with HDMI cables and there is no real lag. Problem is that it is kinda expensive.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:37:08 AM »

In order - Fraps, Dxtory and Hauppauge PVR 2.

Camtasia and, well, everything else is just plain rubbish -- and if you really need a screen-cap software for some reason I recommend Snag-it.

While Fraps is king of simplicity, one button, nothing more, Dxtory can record in .mp4 if you install a codec for it: much, much, much smaller files with about the same loss of quality as a Hauppauge really -- but the real advantage of Dxtory is that it records game audio and mic input on separate tracks without having to use audacity (or something else) to accomplish the feat. All that said, the pure simplicity of Fraps wins, just by a smidge.

Of course, if you already have a Hauppauge, it is a reasonable enough choice for recording - I don't honestly know if you can do live commentary in the same recording with a PC, never tried but meh, the real advantage of it would be that the recording happens on the Hauppauge, so if you've got one and Fraps or Dxtory are giving you huge frame hits -- give it a try.

Last thing -- In my experience Dxtory lags a lot less than Fraps -- BUT, this is only true if your bottleneck is your HDD write speed, and if you don't use the loss-less dxtory default codec.

EDIT:

Speaking of Dxtory -- the codecs I use are here http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/?source=navbar -- you need the first one, and if you use x64 OS (and you prolly do if you record ha ha) you need the second one as well.

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.
I play games and so do you!
Master Player

Videos: 3,886
Guides: 208

124,218 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:35:32 AM »

The best fix I have found that works for me personally is to put your games and captured footage on to separate Hard Drives.  I have done this just recently and I can capture Sleeping Dogs Full specs [High Res Texture Pack included] with little to no lag, and I have even managed to get some nice test footage out of Crysis 2 as well.

Like Mace also said, if you can afford to get a Solid State Drive that would help even more.

Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:57 AM »

Yeah, that generally solves the issue --  plus you kinda need one for the size anyway, especially with Fraps.

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.
Expert Noob

Videos: 318
Guides: 17

15,054 gold
Give Gold
More classic than history!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:39:33 AM »

I don't have much lag issues with games unless it's like Fallout 3, Sonic 4 Episode 2,Overlord.(idk why to remove the lagg from the recording I had to play it in window mode and 720x640 or something to make it stop lagging) The thing with fraps it that it seams to stop lagging if I either turn down the grapic on the game ( I always tend playing on 100% graphic, like on World Of Warcraft everything is on Ultimate graphic setting) There is just one thing that makes me a little nervous.

You see there is a Program called Xfire and it happens to have a recorder. When ever I record with it,... it never laggs or has loss of graphics. It kinda worries me that a gaming chat community program have better recorder than fraps...

OF course soon I am getting a PVR, at the moment I happen to be broke. I tried Dxtory.... didn't like using it, very yucky program... hard to change some settings and other settings don't tell you what they do.

Also, here is a video that I made using fraps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNXFzlGBt0

Sorry for the late reply, School is killing me slow and softly....

Way past cool, Are you looking for some sweet old retros? I am the man of the choice, Play again crash.

My Youtube name is Evilsoshi.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/evilsoshi
Xbox live: BoomBoomBouble
Stream: RedBloodScorpion (aka) '' KarlssonPĆ„Taket ''
I'm The Wah-xas!
Expert

Videos: 2,749
Guides: 113

35,441 gold
Give Gold
Working through life one video at a time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, School is killing me slow and softly....
I know what that's like. Being in Uni is killing me slowly, my upload schedule is doing a number to me too.

If you need any help with how to use the HD PVR 2 to record PC than feel free to PM me. I've done it quite a few times. As for lag often times it's because you don't have enough memory to run all of the processes. I had 4 GB of RAM when I was recording my PC gameplay and here's how my video turned out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3i5dEIDSw
Doesn't look the best because I used Pinnacle Studios 15 to render it. Haven't recorded and PC gameplay with my current upgrades though.

Draw me like one of your french girls...only put clothes on me, and make me a guy.
LEVEL DOWN!
Master Player

Videos: 334
Guides: 44

14,732 gold
Give Gold
"Here's a touching story. The end."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »

Buy Fraps.

It has really good quality.

Noob
Videos: 87
Guides: 2

15,289 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »

Speaking of Dxtory -- the codecs I use are here (link) -- you need the first one, and if you use x64 OS (and you prolly do if you record ha ha) you need the second one as well.

This. Dxtory is the way to go man, 100x better than fraps and if you want to do the exact same thing you do on fraps in Dxtory, the complexity is the same (so it's stupid to say Fraps easier, since the same things you need to setup in Fraps are the same things you need to setup in Dxtory to achieve the same thing). Get the codec the guy above recommended, and for great sizes and qualities (per 2 minutes I get 140mb of file, which with fraps would be like 2,5 gb and the quality remains untouched). Here, follow this picture to setup the codec (took me like 15 minutes to achieve what for me was the best results ever):

mediafire . com/ view/?5n4hweswv118a4f

The guy I quoted already said it all but let me confirm his states. Dxtory is better because:

* Allows you to use codecs like the one he recommended which will bring you better results (in terms of size/quality).
* It records smoother than fraps (the FPS loss is less).
* It's able to put each audio source (mic, in game audio, and whatever you have connected to your PC that will generate audio signals) on different audio tracks, allowing you to edit them separately on Vegas or whatever editing software you use.
* It allows you determine the exact resolution at which you want to record the game footage (allowing you to record at 720p and play at 1080p at the same time for example). With Fraps that's impossible.
* It allows you to determine the frame of recording, I mean, what is what you want to capture from the game (cause maybe you don't want to record everything that's happening on screen but a small portion of it).
* When using a mic, you can set up a "push to talk" button. Not allowed to do that on Fraps.
* Allows you to create several templates for each game you have; it happens as a matter of fact that the same settings won't work the same way with one game than with another.
* etc.

No doubts. Dxtory is the way to go. Also it gets as much updated as Fraps does.

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Jump to: