Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Mirrors Edge
"Vrooom!"

Maintain sprint speed for 30...

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Author Topic: Tutorial: Upscaling 480i to 720p Sony Vegas  (Read 48996 times)
cheeki breeki, iv damke
Average Player

Videos: 4,776
Guides: 188

39,689 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

I don't think attacking my age or preferences is making your case look any better. I had a CRT TV/Monitor until I was 15, thank you. And yes, black bars are very annoying. That unused black space is an eye sore. Are you one of those people that would put a crt and color filter over SNES emulation? Because newsflash, that doesn't look appealing. The only reason why it looked that way back in the day was thanks to the limits of the technology. Same with 4:3, we're moving to a new industry standard here.
Where did I attack your age? Frankly, I was pointing out the absurdity of your whinging about CORRECT ASPECT RATIOS not perfectly synchronisng with your hatred of proper scaling just because "oh no, there are black bars because my monitor and the video feed are different aspect ratios! D:". Thanks for the ad hominem, by the way. There's really no actual correlation between some SNES emulator settings (that I don't even use because they look like shit) and 4:3 aspect ratios anyway.

Also, quoting for truth. Just because you don't like it or have outdated equipment, doesn't make you the majority.
Both of my monitors that are in current use are 16:9, thank you very much. Excuse me for advocating quality and not f*cking over people who DON'T have 16:9 monitors. Excuse me for not being so selfish as to ignore the fact that other people have different aspect ratio viewing devices. Ask yourself: do you want to make the highest quality content possible with your skills and abilities, or do you want to make everything faux-HD and stretch to widescreen? Do I have to go to SomethingAwful and pay the membership fee to deal with people that understand what I'm going for here?

Besides, why appeal to the majority (where has that gotten us historically? A music industry lead by increasingly simplistic, repetitive garbage. A film industry increasingly unintelligent and low-brow. A game industry lead by Call of Duty and its various generic clones. I could make a few political and religious statements, but I don't feel like inciting a riot.) when you can make something that's equally enjoyable by the majority AND the minorities? Frankly, it's not like a brightness issue where the view can just adjust their monitor to make things look better. You're practically forcing the user to either buy a new, 16:9 "standard" monitor, suffer with poor video standards, or stop watching your videos entirely when you use these kinds of production methods.

From me to you friend, I appreciate what your saying but to be honest i didn't think this was gonna blow up into this little argument your having with people here.

To be honest when I saw what's been going on in this topic i couldn't help but find it amusing.

So how bout, you figure out a way to produce a video of the highest quality standards, for 480i and older consoles without the black bars?

Frankly, it only exploded into an argument because Zell hops in with some nonsense about "nostalgia" and some misinformed, utterly incorrect comments about screen burn-in (which, if that were true, then by god all three of my monitors would be horrendously burnt-in, and yet... they're only dustier than they were on day one) and what aspect ratios are "meant for" rather than coming back with an actual argument.

As for your last point: It's pretty obvious, isn't it? You de-interlace (preferably using YADIF) the feed if it's capture-card footage.
You set the rendering resolution to either 640x480 (for 4:3), 720x480 (non-square pixel aspect ratio for 16:9 capture card), 854x480 (for 16:9 computer footage), or whatever Yx480 resolution the aspect ratio of the video requires.
Audio bitrate of roughly 128-160 kb/s will do, and a video bitrate of 4 mb/s will suffice for the resolution. (Downward adjustments may be necessary depending on uprate bandwidth.)
Framerate of 24-30 FPS depending on the source, what you recorded at, and/or necessary framerate downscaling to help with poor uploading bandwidth.

These are the exact settings I use, and my 480p videos look fantastic for the resolution, even after Youtube renders them down. (Though darkness , lots of blue, lots of gray, and fast motion tend to be the bane of any youtube encoding because their settings are terrible.) And even then, the quality can be much better than that because I render with the "preview" setting in Vegas (due to older, weaker hardware and getting tired of 2-3 hour render times per 20 minute video) and my videos don't show the quality improvements of the "best" setting. Hell, you can even bump that bitrate up to like... 12 mb/s if you really want to.

While I'm on-site for once in a great while (hence the great delay in response), I may as well disagree with Kurant as well. I'm not sure about GA's uploading system, as last time I used it was when it still stretched 4:3 to 16:9, hence why my Dark Forces 2 LP was done in the "4:3 letterboxed in 16:9" style I detest. However, Youtube doesn't add bars at all. They're visible in the in-page viewer because they're too lazy to make the UI adapt to the aspect ratio (it's not like it's hard to do, even. I do it on every single page of my website, and I am not being paid to design it.), and they're visible in the fullscreen viewer if the user's display/current resolution aspect ratio is not equal to that of the video, but from what you're suggesting, anyone not using 16:9 monitors (and while 4:3/5:4 are increasingly rare these days, it's not like 16:10 is one in a million chance either) gets a degraded experience.

Take this, for example: (Linked due to resolution.)
This, is how a 4:3 video, letterboxed to 16:9 as you suggest, looks to a user of a 4:3 monitor, with no real benefit given to 16:9 users. That tiny little box of footage surrounded by big boxes of black on all four sides. It isn't letterboxed due to a difference in aspect ratio between the actual footage and the monitor, it's letterboxed because it's letterboxed into a certain aspect ratio and letterboxed again because of the aforementioned footage:monitor difference. It's no different from forcibly letterboxing 16:9 footage into 4:3 after youtube started handling widescreen properly.

The way of video production I propose has no negative effects on anyone's viewing experience (unless they have an irrational hatred of those dastardly black bars on footage with different ARs from their monitor's), and makes videos fit perfectly into equal AR monitors. It's like watching a widescreen DVD on a CRT and then watching it on a widescreen LCD.

Gamer
Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

-8,265 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »

very helpful, thank you
Noob

Videos: 562
Guides: 28