Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Metal Gear Solid V The...
"Legend"

Obtain all trophies.

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: Commentary Community Startup – Improve narration and sharpen your wit  (Read 9050 times)
Expert Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,885 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »

I realize there are a lot of posts already in existence on how to do a let’s play or edit your first video and I think they are great.
In fact I recommend you check those pages out first. What this board is about is moving forward. Putting those new found skills into practice. Critiquing one another and giving feedback.
I have recently made a youtube channel (search Whorledpeas if you wish to find it) and now that I have gotten through the gauntlet of making my first few videos I want some feedback and I know there are a lot of others out there who desire the same.
So lets make that happen. I have started contacting youtubers who have very few subscribers and seem active and directing them here. My hope is that we can find other channels that are interesting and share our strategies for making commentaries and editing.

So welcome,
I’ll tell you a bit about myself and some of the strategies I have herd.

I make live commentary. The goal of my channel is to practice narration and hopefully get a bit better at thinking of clever things when I’m on the spot.

Common strategies that work for some people:
A lot of people recommend writing down a short list of notes on topics you want to cover before starting a video. Note a script, just a bullet list.
Pretend like your best friend is sitting next to you, if you sound like you are having fun and joking with a friend then the audience will enjoy it more.
Use your skills if you are really reactive and excitable do that, but don’t force it.

These pieces of advice are all valid in my experience. That being said they are also a dime a dozen and its really easy to give someone a bit of advice that sounds good when you are not invested.
So let’s put this to the test. That is what I want from this thread- real responses to trying a strategy, problem solving, collaboration. The next step in the process.

So what are you waiting for, leave a post with where you and your videos can be found.
Im Whorledpeas and I hope to hear from you soon. =)
PS4 & PC
Master Player

Videos: 1
Guides: 1

3,677 gold
Give Gold
boi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »

This is a really good idea. I myself, can't join because my mic just recently broke Cry But i will tell some of my other friends to check this out, and maybe they will consider joining! Cheesy
Expert Noob

15,885 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »

Sorry to hear about your mic. But if you ever get it fixed we will still be around, at least I will. Thank you for spreading the word!
You are a gentlemen and a scholar.
Semi-Noob

Videos: 69
Guides: 3

15,496 gold
Give Gold
www.youtube.com/Rioshoa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »

So a place to discuss the next step in LPing?  Hmm, it definitely sounds interesting enough.  Hmm I think I need a little time to really give it some serious thought first though.
Noob

15,205 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

Finally got around to read this here thread + bump!

I agree with the tips; notes are fine. Script reading *I do it sometimes* can sound less natural for sure, unless you know how to bend your speech.
The best friend next to you thing helps as well with hand motions *if you aren't doing live, keep those hands on the controller now*. Sometimes I do my commentary with my girlfriend on Skype, you can't hear or see her, but it makes me sound more natural when I have someone with me or a face.
Also, get yourself in a happy, easily laughable mood before starting. I did that with my latest video and it produced a great first few seconds, will do again.

My channel is Moist Platypus and I post LPs with my girlfriend, live commentaries of fighter games, and what not! I have a small base and it has been hella rough starting my Youtube out of 0 subs, 0 views. Just recently I've been feeling a small momentum. I hope ya'll can check me out, give me critiques and maybe hang out for more!

I'll be sure to check you out WhorledPeas after I post this here post and give you seem feedback on your channel.
Noob

15,249 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »

I agree with you!

Another thing is to make sure you smile when you're talking. Since the viewers only hear your voice, you could be happy but it'll sound a little muted. Making an effort to smile brightens the voice up.

I also agree with scripting out what you say before hand. If you're new at commentating your mind doesn't move as fast as you would like to think. Take time before you start recording to practice saying things you know you'll end up talking about because you'll have a grasp at what you're trying to say.

That's another huge thing - know the point you're trying to make when you speak. If you just ramble aimlessly and don't really have an idea of where you're going with the convo, it sounds pretty bad.

These things I learned in school for broadcasting. Let's Plays are a lot like being a radio DJ, it's all about practice.
Noob

15,218 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:21:10 AM »

This is an interesting proposal, I must say. Normally, when people ask others how to go about becoming Lp'ers and game commentators, they usually ask questions about equipment and editing, but that's only half the formula, at least when we're talking about videos with commentary.

There's a human element to the video as well, in the player's thoughts, opinions and reactions to the game that the audience can relate to, find interesting and entertaining. That's why no one's commentary is ever the same, your voice and what you have to say on any given matter stems from you as a person consisting of your character and your experience(not GameAnyone account experience Cheesy). Wanting to improve these requires a little bit of self-analysis.

I don't believe there's any one way of formatting it. Scripted commentary is certainly acceptable and is in some cases, the best way to go about creating certain kinds of content like, reviews, shorts, etc. From what I've seen however, people have always been more welcoming of a commentary style that flows naturally when playing games.

I would say the best way to go about having a better commentary is what my man, HPGunshot said above me, practice. Anyone who's ever played a game while trying to talk and come up with funny things to say will tell you, it's not as easy as some people make it look. Often times, talking for long periods of time can tire you out and can be distracting from the game to the point where it deters your playing performance. Then, throw in the fact that you are recording and have to worry about screw-ups, problems recording and unpredictable things that can happen, the job definitely requires a little gusto. But you can also use things like that to your advantage, as well. Remember that when you are a commentator, EVERYTHING going on around you is a topic for discussion. It's our ability to adapt and think on the fly that people can appreciate. Eventually, after doing it for a while, you improve  because you're used to doing it to the point where it's second-nature to you and you know how to make the job easier on yourself.

Like I said, I don't think it's something that can really be formatted for everyone to use the same guidelines, so much as it is a skill (pretty much like public speaking) that can be improved upon. But there are some general things I think people should keep in mind before and during recording. This isn't really a guide (maybe I'd like to make one down the road someday), just a few tips:

- You may not know it, but you already have some things to say. A nice introduction to the video and a memorable outro helps people remember who you are.
- Commentary is part preparation, part adaptation (Copyright lol). You should know a little bit about the game you're playing, you may have some talking points you want to write down, or make a mental note of.
- Make sure you're in a recording mood. Make sure you have the energy to record and do everything that entails. If you're not enjoying yourself, chances are. others might not either.
- Make sure you're hydrated. You may become a little winded or tongue-twisted during commentary(It's happened to me more than once). It's nice to have some water or any beverage on hand.
- Think before you speak. If you don't know what you're going to say, you can end up rambling and jumbling your words which doesn't sound too good Sad
- Draw out material. If you run out things to say about the game or nothing of high interest seems to be happening. You regale your audience with a funny story or recall a past experience. It's much better than dead silence for 2 minutes, trust me.
- Speak clearly. It helps the quality of your videos when people can understand what you're saying. I gotta say, this is probably where I need the most touch-up. Also, improving the quality of the mic can help other's comprehension as well.

I hope I explained myself well. Thanks whorledpeas for bringing it up!
Noob

Videos: 25
Guides: 3

15,022 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »

This is so cool as a concept I know for a fact i need to improve my commentary XD

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: