Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Resident Evil 4
"What Are They Worth?"

Acquire all of the bottle caps...

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Commentaries - I need help, and a lot of it!  (Read 11218 times)
LEVEL DOWN!
Master Player

Videos: 334
Guides: 44

15,236 gold
Give Gold
"Here's a touching story. The end."

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »

Whassup?

I was thinking about starting commentary walkthroughs and I just realized "Damn, I'm bad at this".

I was thinking about live commentaries but there are 2 problems:
1. I don't know what to say!
2. I always need a co-commentator!

Any hints 'n' tips for me?

Average Player

Videos: 1,015
Guides: 48

15,122 gold
Give Gold
aka Cybearg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:38 PM »

If you play games that you like, talk about what you like about the game, what's going on, point out details that others may miss (or joke about them if you notice flaws), talk about your connection to the game, etc.

Basically, my commentary is almost entirely me:

1. Talking about the gameplay ("Oh, I see. I need to get five of those to continue. That means we need to pass through this tunnel again. Crap, hope it goes better than last time.")
2. Talking about details ("Heh, wait, so he wants us to go get this thing, but he has an even better thing in the chest in his home? What the hell is up with that?")
3. Talking about my connection ("Damn, this part took me forever as a kid! Let's see if I'm any better now.")
4. Making jokes about what has happened/is happening ("I hope that we get more levels where we run frantically from a giant dick monster. It's like a slice of life in San Francisco.")
5. Chatting about the game as a whole ("Apparently this game got the lowest reviews of all of them in the series, but it beats me why. Yeah, there is less wasting your time fighting repetitive monsters and furiously reloading because of game-breaking glitches, but at least-- No, wait. That's it.")

It's important to have material you can work off of. For me, it is important that I am playing a game where things happen. It could be characters talking or action happening, but if it's just me walking from point A to B with nothing really happening in between, my commentary would dry up, too. That's why I don't play those kind of games (SKYRIM).

Also, your info says that you've posted 178 videos and 26 guides. How are you just starting now? Or did you just have silent walkthroughs?
LEVEL DOWN!
Master Player

15,236 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »

Thanks! Those helped me.

Also, your info says that you've posted 178 videos and 26 guides. How are you just starting now? Or did you just have silent walkthroughs?

Yes, I've been making silent walkthroughs and I wanna change it now.

Semi-Expert

Videos: 27
Guides: 1

17,060 gold
Give Gold
Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO ride polar bears.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59:24 AM »

Making Live commentaries can be quite difficult, seeing as how you only get one take. And Post commentaries are no fun, unless you're showing off your latest game of Call of Duty. You know, the one where you went 58-1 using only your sniper rifle, and using your nipples to control the joysticks?

Here's a tip. Play though a couple games, with the Mic off. When something happens, react to it. Say whatever your reaction is out loud for practice. Things like "Oh, that was a good plot twist."
Or crack a joke. No one, and I mean NO ONE is above saying "That's what she said!" But if you think you are, I'm sure there are other jokes worth making throughout the course of the gameplay.
Once you get this down, it should start to just flow naturally, and at that point, you just have to make sure you don't say anything too offensive. If you don't already have that natural filter, then you should probably build one up. And I'm not saying "Whatever you do, Don't Cuss!" But I'm saying don't say things that might be Racist, Sexist, etc. (Unless it's in a joking fashion, and you audience can clearly tell that you were joking)

I'm in no way an expert, and I'm still learning how to do these commentaries, just like you are. But those are just a few tips I can formulate with what I know. I know confidence is hard to have right out of the starting blocks, so practice! I hope this helps Smiley

TheCeeBeeKid Wink
Average Player

Videos: 202
Guides: 13

15,750 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »

And Post commentaries are no fun, unless you're showing off your latest game of Call of Duty.

Really? lol.

I used to have a signature, but then I took an arrow to the knee. 
Director
Full Player

Videos: 618
Guides: 39

331,272 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:32:20 AM »

Start out doing games that you feel comfortable with and just say things about that game or whats happening in the game, and before you know it you will be a pro, But with many thongs it takes time and practice.
LEVEL DOWN!
Master Player

15,236 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

Thanks mates!

I really hope I'll start doing commentaries.

When I read these advices I actually started to speak (alone) and laugh while playing games.

Director
Full Player

Videos: 618
Guides: 39

331,272 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »

Thanks mates!

I really hope I'll start doing commentaries.

When I read these advices I actually started to speak (alone) and laugh while playing games.

SEE AND IT BEGINS  Cheesy
Master Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

91,666 gold
Give Gold
Geek Girls Do It Better

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »

Looks like you've already gotten some good advice here, but just to throw my two cents in -- I always try to fill airtime by either talking about what's happening at the moment, particularly when I'm trying to solve a puzzle or something, just talking out my thought process, or by talking about the progress of the plot as a whole if nothing interesting is happening on screen at the moment. I also find you can get a lot of good jokes out of just pointing out the inherent videogame logic that comes up sometimes, where things that make sense in a game would never make sense in the real world (Gordon Freeman never sleeping, eating, or talking for over 24 hours, for example Tongue ).

One definite caveat, though -- don't talk over cutscenes. Or at least that's my opinion; I know there's been some discussion about it, but my opinion and experience has been that your viewers want to hear you talk, but if there's important plot or character stuff happening, you should stay out of the way, and then discuss what happened afterwards. Smiley

Hope that helps! Be glad to offer further specific advice if I can.

Oh, hi. So. How are you holding up?

BECAUSE I'M A POTATO.

I'm a web designer, XBOX gamer, RPG admin, and all-around geek girl. Drop me a line, or watch my videos! Cheesy

Current Projects:
Assassin's Creed 3
Disney's G-Force
Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »

All of the above -- the key really is more to continue speaking, and to do so comfortably. It doesn't really matter about what. I myself ramble about life and random bits of real history or whatnot and people seem to tolerate it reasonably well Tongue. Others, as above, point out logical flaws in the games and poke fun at them gently -- some even do wholly negative LPs but be warned those are a LOT harder to pull off than say, a negative video review like THWTG.com for example..

It may sound. . .silly. . .but the best advice is to be comfortable with yourself, so that you can either treat it as if you really -are- speaking to someone else while you play (and they just cannot respond) -- or speak to yourself directly and comfortably as well. . .. in fact I've been toying with the idea of a kind of 'captain's log' form of commentary for some time now you know. . . that could be really interesting but I dun think I could do it well so maybe try that even Tongue

Get creative mate, this is the one part of making LPs that we can't actually help with. . .just toss words at the wall until something sticks, or you pull some assortment out of the rubbish heap at the foot of the wall itself and run with that Tongue

I advise the latter. .. more fun XD

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: