Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Metal Gear Solid V The...
"Legend"

Obtain all trophies.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
 Print 

Author Topic: The Last Book You've Read  (Read 26530 times)
France  Xss
Master Noob

Videos: 203
Guides: 7

18,171 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »

Quote from: kiseruyoru
For example, Pet Semmetary had something of an open ending and it is one of the best books ever written by an American.

Fun thing you say this: Pet Semmetary was the first horror book from King that I read (when I was younger I actually read THe Eyes of the Dragon), and still my favorite from him, though It and The Talisman are not very far behind.

I'm not so much of a reader, but right now I am reading A Clash of Kings, the sequel of A Game of Thrones: so far I preferred the first book, but it is still a pleasant reading.
Master Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,173 gold
Give Gold
Affluence means influence. -Jack London

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »

Fun thing you say this: Pet Semmetary was the first horror book from King that I read (when I was younger I actually read THe Eyes of the Dragon), and still my favorite from him, though It and The Talisman are not very far behind.

The Stand is, I think, his best book. I thought Pet Semmetary was a boring, and without a meaningful theme. Plus the Luffa Bathtub scene made me instantly not take the book seriously.
Full Player

Videos: 764
Guides: 39

15,000 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »

I'm a big fan of Philip K Dick (author of A Scanner Darkly) but if you want really good PKD, read Ubik. Much better than Scanner Darkly. Scanner Darkly is a so-so PKD book. Ubik or Clans of the Alphane Moon is a lot better.

Be careful about reading too much dark stuff, though. I know from my own experience and from other people that people tend to get anxious reading PKD books. So I generally pace them out alongside other books. I'm a big, big PKD fan, though.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. As for PKD, I'm a fan myself, apart from Scanner Darkly I've also read Flow My Tears, the Policemen Said, The Divine Invasion, The Unteleported Man, The Man in the Hight Castle and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (of which I enjoyed Scanner Darkly the most). I'll make sure to look into both Ubik and Clans of the Alphane Moon.  Wink

Anyway, I'm currently reading through Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, Ten Little cool guys by Agatha Christie and The Dark Tower by Stephen King (locally being the most celebrated, best rated book of his. I'm wondering if it turns out to be all that better than IT or Misery, which are the two of my favourites).

Life is like a dick - if it's hard, f*ck it.
Morocco  Lumi
Average Player

Videos: 290
Guides: 15

17,616 gold
Give Gold
I eat babies :P

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »

The dimension of Miracles , by Robert Sheckley .

Subscribe to my Youtube channel ! http://www.youtube.com/user/Arclight44

Follow me on Twitter ! http://twitter.com/overlordlumi

Current LPs : Legend of Mana (PSX)
Master Noob

91,666 gold
Give Gold
Geek Girls Do It Better

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 12:28:37 AM »

Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Little Women...my next project is going to be the complete works of HP Lovecraft, which I've been meaning to read literally for years.

Oh, hi. So. How are you holding up?

BECAUSE I'M A POTATO.

I'm a web designer, XBOX gamer, RPG admin, and all-around geek girl. Drop me a line, or watch my videos! Cheesy

Current Projects:
Assassin's Creed 3
Disney's G-Force
Semi-Noob

Videos: 52
Guides: 5

15,138 gold
Give Gold
Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:51 AM »

My favourite author is Diana Wynne Jones. She died a few months ago, right after finishing her latest book, and it was published a few weeks after she died. I bought it, but can't bring myself to read it just yet cause I've been reading her stuff since I was a little kid and I hate the thought that it's the last time I'll read a new book by her, so I've been working my way back through all her other books (around 30+ of them). Just finished one called "The Power of Three" and started "The Merlin Conspiracy"

-Raz-
Full Player

Videos: 390
Guides: 70

25,122 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:47 AM »

The last two books I read where The official Chuck Norris fact book by Chuck Norris and the book of great Russian short story's.

Chuck Norris was an auto biography that tells how the Chuck Norris jokes are related to his life and was surprisingly a good read.

The Russian short story's was just a compilation of Tolstoy Pushkin and many other great Russian writers.

Both great books that I highly recommend to any one who is interested.

im on steam redbaron1007 so yeah just um yeah.
Master Player

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 05:35:39 AM »

A book of Japanese short stories and all 11 Psychic Academy volumes read yesterday/ The book of short stories was a far sight better, but there was one line in the last volume of Psychic Academy (near the end) that made reading the whole series worthwhile for me.

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.
Average Player

21,135 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »

I've been reading a lot more since I got a Kindle but I finished recently The first four books of A song of Fire and Ice and a collection of Philip K. Dick stories. I'm planning on reading a bunch of classics and I'm starting with Frankenstein. I read parts of it in middle school but I wanted to read it again.

Average Player

Videos: 420
Guides: 18

12,678 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »

Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Little Women...my next project is going to be the complete works of HP Lovecraft, which I've been meaning to read literally for years.
Did you fall asleep whilst reading Conan-Doyle? I know I do.
My favourite author is Diana Wynne Jones. She died a few months ago, right after finishing her latest book, and it was published a few weeks after she died. I bought it, but can't bring myself to read it just yet cause I've been reading her stuff since I was a little kid and I hate the thought that it's the last time I'll read a new book by her, so I've been working my way back through all her other books (around 30+ of them). Just finished one called "The Power of Three" and started "The Merlin Conspiracy"
She died? Daaaamn! Howl’s Moving Castle, baby!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
 Print 

Jump to: