Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Mirrors Edge
"Vrooom!"

Maintain sprint speed for 30...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
 Print 

Author Topic: The Last Book You've Read  (Read 22144 times)
Full Player

Videos: 764
Guides: 39

15,000 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »

For all the literature-positive individuals out there, I bring forth the thread about books! (in reality, I only seek some decent reading and have a hard time finding it, hoping some of potential local tips could be of some use >_>).

Anyway, the last book I've read was A Scanner Darkly (since I saw the movie and loved the movie and heard the book is even more depressing and just generally better, and indeed it was).

Comic books I also welcome, and the last one I've read was Watchmen. All 12 of them. At last. And somehow after reading it, the ultimate 3 and half hours long cut of the movie suddenly became the best movie ever.

So anyway, passionate readers or not, fire away!

Life is like a dick - if it's hard, f*ck it.
Master Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,069 gold
Give Gold
My enemy's enemy is my friend.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »

Reading is a hobby of mine. I enjoy mainly murder mysteries or adventure books. Not a comic book fan. However if you like comic books, have you tried manga? Might be something you could possibly like.
Last book I've read was The Dress Lodger. I actually quite liked it. The author wrote it in a way that I haven't seen before in any other books. I can't say it's an easy book to read but it could be easy for book-lovers. One of the shortest books I've read but also took me a long time to finish.
My absolute favourite book so far is The Cabinet of Curiosities, which is a murder mystery. I've read it about four or fives times now. Never once am I bored of it.
Lately, I've actually been trying to hunt down the Witcher series of books but they seem to be very rare over here.
If you like mystery books (dealing mainly with murders), I'd suggest Blood Line and Cabinet of Curiosities. Shutter Island (which was made into a movie) is better in book form than movie in my opinion. The Angel's Game is another mystery one but deals with religious things. A hard book to read and understand since I wasn't familiar with Christianity.
Master Player

Videos: 442
Guides: 15

84,478 gold
Give Gold
Skype name: Leelee7201

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »

The last book I read was Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.  It was pretty good, and I'm working on the sequel to that now.

Noob

545,594 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »

The Help. I wonder if the movie is going to be as good as the book.
Master Noob

Videos: 12
Guides: 1

15,906 gold
Give Gold
Shocking!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »

Sorry, the only actual book I've ever read outside of Literature class is "Rock-a-Doodle." Way back when. I'm just not a fan of reading too much (puts me to sleep).

"You know, out of all my friends...you're the first."
"I'll say whatever I wanna' do!"

XBLA: Jragun; PSN: Jolts_D; Wii: 4904 4141 7630 4936
Master Player

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »

Cell by Stephen King.

Not his best work. It wasn't that it was bad, just that it had absolutely no sense of completion no explanation. Neither were attempted though, I just don't think the open ending paid off, I think it cheated the reader in this case.

For example, Pet Semmetary had something of an open ending and it is one of the best books ever written by an American.

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.
Master Noob

Videos: 984
Guides: 53

5,339 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:05:01 AM »

The last book i read or was beginning with was The Snowmann it is about some strange disappering of people and that a snow mann is in front of their house the day they disapper. There is something weird about the snow mann it is almost like it is alive.

The book is written by a famous writter that is very big in Europa. His name is Jo Nesbø, you would proably call him Jo Nesbo. The book Snow Mann is in American stores now and they are going to make a movie of the book cant wait to see that one.

To be 100% honest i dont read many books, but i love to write books on my free time.  Roll Eyes

I LOVE TO MAKE WALKTHROUGHS AND LET`S PLAYS

FROM NORWAY WITHLOVE

Master Noob

17,173 gold
Give Gold
Affluence means influence. -Jack London

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »

Hmm this is really interesting. The last book I read was "We Were the Mulvanneys" by Joyce Carol Oates. I'm juggling like 5 books lol.
Full Player

Videos: 1,080
Guides: 67

137,238 gold
Give Gold
I'm best at space. Spaaaceee!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »

I love reading, but only in some periods of my life. Now that I think about it, I haven't sat down with a book for ages. I have Discworld: Sourcery lying around, which I'm probably just 50 pages away from finishing, but it's probably well over 6 months since I bought it. I think my reading lust got killed when I bought A Game Of Thrones, and it didn't quite manage to catch me. I'll probably need something awesomely good to get me back into the reading groove Tongue

Average Player

Videos: 422
Guides: 18

12,678 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 01:41:59 AM »

I'm a big fan of Philip K Dick (author of A Scanner Darkly) but if you want really good PKD, read Ubik. Much better than Scanner Darkly. Scanner Darkly is a so-so PKD book. Ubik or Clans of the Alphane Moon is a lot better.

Be careful about reading too much dark stuff, though. I know from my own experience and from other people that people tend to get anxious reading PKD books. So I generally pace them out alongside other books. I'm a big, big PKD fan, though.

Last book I read was Minority Report. Yet another PKD book. Ha ha.

Currently reading Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell. A right brick f a book, and not for everyone. In fact, most people give up on it.

Also, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Anne McCaffrey is ugly. *ahem*
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:59:12 AM by vglp33 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
 Print 

Jump to: