Why should I sign up?
Subscribe to get email updates.
GameAnyone on YouTube

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hauppauge HD PVR Export file type.  (Read 2122 times)
Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

351 credits
Give Credits
Divide & Plunder!

View Profile
on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:24 PM

I'm not a technical person so I need a bit of help before I purchase a HD PVR.

I now know that the Hauppauge HD PVR exports it's recordings as a .M2TS file type and that few video editing programs are compatible with that file type.

My question is, is there any way for the HD PVR to export in a any other file type? and if not which programs are compatible with .M2TS.

Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:48:17 PM by IbeRaider Logged

Use Your F*cking Brain!
Ultimate Gaming Machine

295 credits
Give Credits
I play it for fun and entertainment!

View Profile WWW
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:08 PM

M2TS is an AVC extension, which is essentially an HD video container. Most editing programs (aside from WMM) if you've spent any money on them, will be able to handle M2TS.
It can also export .TS files, which are AVC files, and .mp4 files, which will be usable by any program that can use the AVC codec.

I think VirtualDub will help you if you can't get your editing programs to work with the native footage, but for the most part, it's not been an issue for most people.

Join the GameAnyone Team

How To Add Your Videos

Official Forum Rules

Quote from: Darius320
My dream job that I've been dreamed of the most is become an comedian actress and advanced gamer.
Noob

351 credits
Give Credits
Divide & Plunder!

View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:47:34 PM

Thankyou very much. You have been very helpful.

Master Noob

2,173 credits
Give Credits
Affluence means influence. -Jack London

View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:52:25 AM

The free AVS Video Converter can also change the file into any sort of editing program friendly file type like AVI, although you will lose quality; so only do as a last resort. http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx

In regards to what Skorch mentioned, VirtualDub does not work with the Hauppague. Vdub can only edit AVI, and the Hauppague compresses its data as it captures which is in the M2TS and Mp4 and all that business. It will appear to work, and Vdub will record it, but it can not be played back or edited due to this feature. So it would be best to convert into a file (like AVI) that Vdub can edit, and just capture using the included software. (Info from Doom9's forum).

I have heard vague stories of being able to record with Windows Media player, but I have also heard that Windows does not recognize the Hauppague.

Also, AVIdemux, an open source editor made for Linux (but it does have windows and mac versions available), can edit MP4's and M2TS.
Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:01:47 PM by PossibleSuperJ Logged
Use Your F*cking Brain!
Ultimate Gaming Machine

295 credits
Give Credits
I play it for fun and entertainment!

View Profile WWW
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:37:26 PM

Don't buy a Hauppauge if you are not planning to use a substantial video editor.

Final Cut, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere...
You COULD make WMM work for you, but why try to produce a golden egg, just to cover it with shit?

Join the GameAnyone Team

How To Add Your Videos

Official Forum Rules

Quote from: Darius320
My dream job that I've been dreamed of the most is become an comedian actress and advanced gamer.
Noob

351 credits
Give Credits
Divide & Plunder!

View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:44:54 PM

If I didn't go with a Hauppauge but still wanted HD footage are there any other capture devices out there

Master Noob

2,173 credits
Give Credits
Affluence means influence. -Jack London

View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:24 PM

The only other well known HD capture cards are Blackmagic Intensities, and one other internal card. Hauppague is the best option hands down for quality, and simplicity, and it is one of the only external capture cards, the other being a Blackmagic Shuttle, which Skorch also put me off of. I would say the normal Blackmagic Intensity (the one that is an internal card) is a good bet if your tech savvy, and don't mind a bit of set up work and a pretty big mess of wires behind your computer. It connects through PCI Express, and comes with a giant splitter like in the picture here. http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/. It can capture uncompressed.

I would still recommend the Hauppague based on the extensive amount of research I have done on different capture cards. Its simple and reliable: two huge advantages over any other card like it. I would say try your luck using AVIdemux, yeah it doesn't have a big fancy timeline, cool transitions, and tons of codecs and supported formats, but it does the basics very well, and producing videos on video games does not exactly require a huge production. I woundn't recommend Windows Movie Maker to my worst enemy, so stick with an editor that at least has the pretense of being decent.
Noob

351 credits
Give Credits
Divide & Plunder!

View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:15:22 AM

Thankyou. You have been very helpful. I think I know what I'm gonna do Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: