Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Bloodstained Curse of the...
"Emperor of Darkness"

Sacrifice every adventurer and...

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Changing the video aspect ratio in Sony Vegas?  (Read 18122 times)
Expert Noob

Videos: 17
Guides: 2

11,692 gold
Give Gold
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic = PERFECTION

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »

While attempting to record footage for my upcoming Paper Mario LP, I'm at an impass. I don't want the game stretched to fill the entire 16:9 aspect ratio, as the game was not native to widescreen. I think the best comparison would be batman9502's Let's Play of Majora's Mask, as he recorded off the Wii, and made the game fit the 4:3.

I use the Hauppauge HD PVR to record my videos, and use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0 (Obnoxiously long name)

Any assistance would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Dizzy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:24:59 AM by DiZaster321 » Logged

The Caped Crusader
Full Player

Videos: 90
Guides: 6

18,150 gold
Give Gold
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »

To make the video 4:3 is a two-step process. I did this all in Vegas Pro (8, even) so you should have all the functionality you need. I'm not sure of the differences between Movie Studio and Pro, but it should all still be there I'd think. Make sure to do both of the steps at frame 1 of the video to avoid Vegas automatically keyframing it, meaning your video would start wide and gradually shrink. Might be worth researching about Vegas's keyframes to make sure you get the correct behavior if something is off.

1.) Right click the video in the timeline and go to Video Event Pan/Crop. Drag the edges of the frame to the edges of the actual video (not where the black part is, where the actual gameplay is taking place). Also, look on the left for "maintain aspect ratio" and change it to "No". This will make your video fill the entire screen with no black bars anywhere. To make things easier, make sure that Lock Aspect Ratio and Scale About Center are both deselected up at the top.

2.) Go to your video track's Track Motion in the timeline. In 8.0 it's the second icon from the left on the left side, looks like a big rectangle next to a smaller rectangle. You can also hover over these buttons to find the right one. Change the dimensions to a 4:3 ratio (640x480, 960x720). You may have to deselect the lock aspect ratio button at the top.

Alternatively, you could skip number 2 and render at 640x480 or 960x720, but I keep it 1280x720 to put the watermark in the very corner of the player. I've also found YouTube doesn't like 4:3 video as much as it used to.

Also on an unrelated note you have ghosting, TTYD runs at a true 59.94 fps and you're undoubtedly rendering at 29.97. Right-click the video in the timeline and go to Switches --> Disable Resample to fix this.

The secret to good quality videos:
I could use the S-Video splitter to my Dazzle for me to have better HD quality.
Expert Noob

11,692 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:37:36 AM »

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. But, that's not TTYD. Also, wouldn't rendering at 59.94 be completely pointless, seeing as YT only goes up to 30 frames per second? I'm just asking based on curiousity, not as a reply to what you said.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:55:23 AM by DiZaster321 » Logged

The Caped Crusader
Full Player

18,150 gold
Give Gold
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:48:56 AM »

D'oh. I just saw the screenshot and saw the yellow and thought "well there's a lot of that color in TTYD." Not to mention VC's emulation of PM64 is impressively smooth. (Been a long day.) I know the original is 29.97. Could be you're rendering at 30 fps? It's certainly not due to interlacing since it's 480p. Either way that'll probably still fix it so try it out.

And yes, YT caps at 30 fps. What I was thinking was the Hauppauge will always capture at 59.94 fps. If the recorded video has 60 unique frames every second and you tell it to render 30 unique frames every second, it'll blend every two frames from the original together to make sure all the frames are still there. This is the feature we're disabling. The same thing applies to a 29.97 fps --> 30 fps conversion, just at weirder intervals.

Expert Noob

11,692 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:48 AM »

Ok, that makes MUCH more sense! I'll definitely have to remember that from now on! Unfortunately, I have a full set of 29 videos for a different LP rendered like that, so they'll ghost it seems. Pity. But, I'm going to post my next attempt here in a second, so let's see how it turned out!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:08:39 AM by DiZaster321 » Logged

The Caped Crusader
Full Player

18,150 gold
Give Gold
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Looks good. Ghosting is gone too. You've probably noticed the same thing I did, where in the actual gameplay, the game actually adds sidebars around it on all sides. If you're wondering about that I'd advise leaving it that way, as there are other parts in the game where it uses the whole screen. Unless you feel like changing it every time it switches back and forth.

Might turn the brightness down a bit though so the black around the gameplay matches, or at least comes close to matching, the black sidebars. Other than that I don't see anything that could use fixing.

Expert Noob

11,692 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »

Alright, sounds like a smart idea! Thanks for your help batman!

Starter

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,053 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »

Also, wouldn't rendering at 59.94 be completely pointless, seeing as YT only goes up to 30 frames per second? I'm just asking based on curiousity, not as a reply to what you said.

You still notice quite a difference between 30fps and 60fps whether that is true or not.
The Caped Crusader
Full Player

18,150 gold
Give Gold
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:36 AM »

You still notice quite a difference between 30fps and 60fps whether that is true or not.

Not when you're watching it through a streaming player. It converts your 60 fps video to 30 fps in its encoding stages; it'll be exactly the same as if you uploaded a 30 fps video.

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,041 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Change Video Aspect Ratio with iDealshare VideoGo, you will find a detailed tutorial.

This guide applies to:
Change video aspect ratio among 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1:1, 21:9 etc
Change aspect ratio for all kinds of video files like change MP4 aspect ratio, change AVI aspect ratio, change WMV aspect ratio, change MKV aspect ratio, change MPG aspect ratio, change YouTube aspect ratio, change aspect ratio of MOV, VOB, ASF, WTV, MVI, AVCHD, 3GP, FLV, MXF, OGV, DV, Apple ProRes, WebM, and etc.
Adjust video aspect ratio as well as keep the same video format.
Change aspect ratio of movie files as well as convert to other video format.
Change or fix video aspect ratio on Windows 8/7/Vista/XP or on Mac OS X Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard/Tiger

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: