Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Resident Evil 4
"What Are They Worth?"

Acquire all of the bottle caps...

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Author Topic: Recording Software List  (Read 42533 times)
Average Player

Videos: 523
Guides: 58

13,650 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »

Note that the info can be outdated at the time you read because software updates.

Popular Programs:
FRAPS - Fraps is a benchmarking, screen capture, and real-time video capture utility for DirectX and OpenGL applications. It is commonly used to determine a computer's performance with a game, as well as record gaming footage. The program is very popular in the making of amateur machinima films. *Community Recommended

Works best with: Info:

PlayClaw - Record game video without sacrificing performance! PlayClaw records smooth, full-resolution high-FPS video sequences accompanied by the game's original audio track and sound effects.
PlayClaw operates completely in background and makes full use of your CPU's multi-core abilities to record quality action videos of your 3D games without affecting the gameplay or reducing frame rate. Very similar to FRAPS. *Community Recommended

HyperCam - It is an advanced utility for capturing screen actions and saving them as .AVI, WMV/ASF files. Though HyperCam may be used just for grabbing a movie or game, it has been chiefly acknowledged as an excellent tool for creating video presentations, tutorials or demo-clips. Stylish, intuitive and user-friendly interface, pre-defined hot-keys for recording actions, built-in video editor, comprehensive text notes workflow, various settings, command line interface, small installation size and more than affordable price.

Other Useful Programs:
Camtasia Studio - Camtasia is a great screenrecording suite with very good recording quality and performance. It offers also a nice Video Editor. The drawback is the relatively high price (300$ and accordingly 180$ for Students). But don’t forget that there is still a Free 30 Day Trial Version which has no restrictions. That time frame might be enough to record and create some videos. However if you should record videos regularly it is worth its price tag.

CamStudio - CamStudio is a lightweight program that lets records video and audio in your games easily. It saves the video files into AVI format and is completely free of cost. It includes great features like screen and video annotations, ability to compress your files, record/not record audio, custom cursors, free AVI to flash converter and more.

Taksi - Taksi is free alternative to fraps that lets you capture either videos or screen. You can map custom keys to start/stop recording making it more easier for you. It captures almost anything on your computer (Including softwares/games using DirectX, OpenGL, or GDI). After recording, it creates an AVI file using VFW codec or still frames in PNG.

GameCam - GameCam is a nifty application that lets you record real-time in-game movies, with or without sound. IT works with most DirectX 7, 8, 9, 10 and OpenGL games and features a nice in-game interface with brightness, zoom control etc, audio recording, giving you the ability to take multiple in-game screenshots, system tray launcher and much more.

Growler Guncam - Growler Guncam can record movies of your games and turn them into AVI format, animated GIF (picture files) and also give you the ability to take screen shots. It focuses more on quality and performance while maintaining a good frame rate of your game. You can easily adjust contrast, brightness and color saturation and much more.

WeGame - WeGame is a popular gaming related video portal. They came up with a great utility that lets you record your in-game videos and upload them easily. It’s simple to use and makes your recording much more fun.

Krut - Krut is a screencast tool that is written in Java and well suited for making video tutorials (instructional videos) on most platforms. Krut records movie files, including sound, of selected parts of your screen. The files use the quicktime mov format. The program has an intuitive and compact user interface. In addition to a movie file, the program also records separate files for audio (wav) and video (mov), which easily allows encoding to any movie format using an external encoding program.

Expression Encoder 4 - Expression Encoder is an advanced audio/video-encoding and live-broadcasting application especially suited for generating content that takes full advantage of the rich graphic and interactive capability of Microsoft Silverlight playback scenarios. You can also generate Windows Media video and audio files that are optimized for other web playback scenarios, or appropriate for playback on portable devices.

Works best with: Info: (Partly)

ZD Soft Screen Recorder - ZD Soft Screen Recorder is the ultimate screen recording/sharing software for Windows. It captures what you see on screen and what you hear/say simultaneously, and saves them as compressed video file in real-time. It is usually used to create software demos, capture streaming videos and record game plays. External capture device such as webcam is also supported. Further more, you can share your screen with a remote PC through video chat software such as Windows Live Messenger.

Gregion - Freeware direct 3d/open gl screen recorder. It is mainly used for recording games.

AmaRecCo\AmaRecLite - Freeware DirectX game\screen recorder.

MSI Afterburner - MSI Afterburner is a handy overclocking utility for MSI graphics cards. Main features include GPU/Shader/Memory clock adjustment, advanced fan speed and GPU voltage control. The latest versions include directx game recording capabilities. The functionality is more similar to PlayClaw.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:12:54 PM by skorch82 » Logged

Tech Admin
True Gamer

Videos: 2,655
Guides: 91

1,668,638 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »

Nice list. I recommend Fraps where possible.

Expert Noob

Videos: 17
Guides: 2

11,692 gold
Give Gold
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic = PERFECTION

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

Quick question, and google didn't help me, does Fraps record compressed or uncompressed footage? I understand that at 3.9 GB it splits the recording into multiple videos and was curious as to how long that video would actually be.

Average Player

13,650 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »

Quick question, and google didn't help me, does Fraps record compressed or uncompressed footage? I understand that at 3.9 GB it splits the recording into multiple videos and was curious as to how long that video would actually be.

Fraps records uncompressed footage (it's minimally compressed for performance purpose). The size depends on the game visuals. For some games you can record 10 min into one file, for others barely 2 min. It all depends on game.

Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,101 gold
Give Gold
Der Mann von die Schatten des brechen Herz.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »

Just to clarify, almost every game that uses full 3D environs is going to run closer to the 2 minute mark. As well as most every games since 2005.
And yeah, totally uncompressed.

My support goes to FRAPS or failing that Camtasia Studio . ..  the big advantage of Camtasia is that it can spare you buying Sony Vegas, but frankly I'd rather use windows movie maker than Camtasia -- but I am willing to admit many/most of my problems with Camtasia might be just that, MY problems.

Still though, despite the compatibility issues Vegas and FRAPS have with one another, I find those two play the nicest out of anything else out there and wouldn't use anything else unless I didn't have a choice (and sometimes you don't have a choice unfortunately and need a direct screen capture, another advantage of Camtasia)

Also: Maybe we should put Audacity up there as well? sometimes its better not to/impossible to get the mic sound from the video capturing program itself. Some people just prefer to take a separate track for commentary as well and I certainly understand that, you can't really edit your commentary if it comes from the same audio track as the game sound (well I mean. . . you CAN. . . but you really shouldn't, it doesn't work so hot)

Sincerely,

~Yoru

forlornonline2.com -- my favourite game n.n.
Average Player

13,650 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

I actually didn't though about putting audio recording software for commentary. Though I would've liked to do so.

Overall, I go with FRAPS (MSI Afterburner need more work to match at least PlayClaw), for editing - Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas, for commentary I would go with Audacity and MiniRecorder for easy editing purpose.

Expert Noob

Videos: 17
Guides: 2

11,692 gold
Give Gold
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic = PERFECTION

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »

Fraps records uncompressed footage (it's minimally compressed for performance purpose). The size depends on the game visuals. For some games you can record 10 min into one file, for others barely 2 min. It all depends on game.
Thanks a million! Now I just need to get a copy.

The Caped Crusader
Full Player

Videos: 90
Guides: 6

18,150 gold
Give Gold
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »

As a small addition it might be worth noting that Hypercam 2 has been released free to the public while Hypercam 3 requires payment.

This also isn't necessary but I would move Fraps up closer to the top, either before or after CamStudio, to sort of list them by popularity. I don't know any people myself that actually use Taksi, so it might be a good idea to sort of recommend the more-used programs first. Then perhaps Camtasia, Hypercam, and Playclaw in some order after that. Just my opinion though.

And you might want to clarify a little more, since it mostly seems to be a Screen Capture Software list in particular.

It's good to have these all in one place though, might also serve as a good place to redirect people who don't bother to forum search first.

The secret to good quality videos:
I could use the S-Video splitter to my Dazzle for me to have better HD quality.
Use Your F*cking Brain!
Ultimate Gaming Machine

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,295 gold
Give Gold
I play it for fun and entertainment!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »

I would also point out those that capture only full-screen apps, and those that are desktop screen capture programs primarily.

Not all of these programs will serve all purposes.

Other than that, very helpful.

I've posted a link to this thread in our "READ THIS FIRST" topic. http://forum.gameanyone.com/index.php?topic=10934.0

Join the GameAnyone Team

How To Add Your Videos

Official Forum Rules

Quote from: Darius320
My dream job that I've been dreamed of the most is become an comedian actress and advanced gamer.
Noob

Videos: 160
Guides: 12

15,488 gold
Give Gold
I am the admiral.. salute me you will.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »

Time to begin spreading the virus of the mac user bwahahha.

First time recorders can give Jing a shot. It's a free software and gives a great first step into recording.

I'm using IshowU HD, which allows for much larger and custom recordings.

Both these software record both windowed and full screen applications.

IShowU HD tends to be a bit more wonky with the recording specs and can take a little getting used to to get a really good and smooth recording, a problem I'm still struggling with myself.

Your resource for everything Mac gaming related!
Programs I use - iShowU HD, iMovie 09', gimp, VBA, no$gba(Crossover)

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: