Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
 Print 

Author Topic: How To: Your First Let's Play  (Read 174275 times)
Stealthy Master Thief
Master Expert

Videos: 1,921
Guides: 40

100,947 gold
Give Gold
Frosty cheese with a slice of backstab

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »

Actually, I believe he's talking about Something Awful or Penny Arcade forum LPs. I don't think we're ever going to go that way... because we don't have sticks up our asses about the rules you should follow to a T to make a "Let's Play" correctly.

To expand on this for Stark, it's basically a thread with a single Let's Play posted in it. Most often the videos for the LP are hidden via spoiler tags that can be expanded if you want to watch the videos. Comments can be made/updated within the thread about what's going on. People reply to the thread to talk about the LP, but all the new stuff usually remains in the very first OP post.

Icy wishes,
FrozenFoxy

Aim for the moon, hope for nothing, and be surprised with what you get.

Simon: At 7AM tomorrow morning with 5 billion dollars worth of off the shelf technology, I'm gonna answer the greatest question of all time.
Ned: Why do men have nipples?
Simon: ...You're a philistine.
~The Big Bang (2011)

"Ever walk into a room and forget what you're looking for? Now what was I looking for... why are you asking you?! You don't f*ckin' know!" - Lee Evans

"Playing GTA to obey traffic laws is like playing Dead Rising to go shopping." - Alex from YT

Currently working on:

Something! I'll surprise ya.
Director
Master Player

Videos: 4,375
Guides: 241

16,367 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »

Actually, I believe he's talking about Something Awful or Penny Arcade forum LPs. I don't think we're ever going to go that way... because we don't have sticks up our asses about the rules you should follow to a T to make a "Let's Play" correctly.

To expand on this for Stark, it's basically a thread with a single Let's Play posted in it. Most often the videos for the LP are hidden via spoiler tags that can be expanded if you want to watch the videos. Comments can be made/updated within the thread about what's going on. People reply to the thread to talk about the LP, but all the new stuff usually remains in the very first OP post.

Icy wishes,
FrozenFoxy
Exactly. Thank you. I'm bad with words. Penny Arcade is a good example, SA is a bit too formal, but definitely same idea.
Semi-Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,233 gold
Give Gold
I am teh Picante.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you. I think I can really improve now thanks to this!

I love me some vidya games!

Noob

15,172 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »

Thanks for the heads up  Grin
Master Noob

Videos: 131
Guides: 9

15,378 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »

I thought this was a pretty good tutorial. It will definitely help newer Let's players.

-Adam

Expect a load of LP's to be uploaded by me very soon.
Canada  Myke
Full Noob

15,950 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

Hey there. There is some pretty good info about this. Though the first video I'm doing I wouldn't really consider a LP, but more of a blind playthrough/first impressions type dealio(Saints Row 2). Even still some awesome info that I hope to take from here on out when I do my next walkthrough.
Noob

15,180 gold
Give Gold
What's up my brosephs and sistas?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »

Definitely a great tutorial.  Naturally, I plan on doing commentary live, which I believe would help the viewer feel the experience the player has.  But still, great tutorial, very helpful.  I especially liked the explanation of the mic setup, which I found the most useful to me.
Noob

15,316 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »

This helped a bunch! ive already posted about 3 playthroughs already. each one taking me about a month. I got a bunch of great pointers from you. Thx, im onnly 14 so im on a budgit so i spent $50 for my dazzle and pinnacle studio plus 12. Pretty good overall except it tends to lag quite a bit. A use a compaq presario cg56 laptop to record my gamplay. And i HAD a rockband mic for my commentaries but i lost it at the moment so ive just been using the built in mic on the computer. i got 13 subs on my youtube with like 90 videos. 3,200 views total.

check me out at my YouTube Channel at 1STOPWalkthroughs!!!

i do PLAYTHROUGHS, COMMENTARIES, MONTAGES, NEWS, and soon to be UNBOXINGS!
Starter

15,096 gold
Give Gold
Dummy Man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:24 AM »

Are there any do's and don'ts that people like to see? As in, don't edit too much or don't have too much fragmented scenes?

Also, what is usually the norm in regards to timeline of the LP's upload delivery? for instance should all the parts be uploaded all at once or should they go up when each one gets completed? I'm guessing this is preference of viewers but just curious.

Thanks for the tut
Director
Master Player

Videos: 4,375
Guides: 241

16,367 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:54 AM »

Thanks everyone for letting me know the guide helped you!  Cheesy

Are there any do's and don'ts that people like to see? As in, don't edit too much or don't have too much fragmented scenes?

Also, what is usually the norm in regards to timeline of the LP's upload delivery? for instance should all the parts be uploaded all at once or should they go up when each one gets completed? I'm guessing this is preference of viewers but just curious.

Thanks for the tut
Don't ever talk about your technical problems. I'd even suggest never talking about anything unless it's about the game you're LPing. Some people on GA disagree with me on this, but I believe it to be good advice. Why? Cuz you'll end up like this kid...

Do go into depth of the game you're LPing. Show off strategies, hidden areas, easter eggs, etc. You can also talk about your experience with the game. Does the game mean something to you? Play it with your bro when you were kids? Etc.

Don't show yourself getting stuck or backtracking. Only show backtracking if it's something like Metroid where it's a huge game mechanic. Why would anyone wanna watch a LPer who's bad at the game? Unless it's for comedy, which almost never works.

Do LP a game no one else has done. There are countless games that neither GA, nor youtube, have LPs for. A perfect void for you to fill. It also increases your chances of getting on the front page.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
 Print 

Jump to: