Why should I sign up?
Get involved with the community.
GameAnyone on YouTube

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Emulators With Built in AVI Recorders?  (Read 17616 times)
Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

200 credits
Give Credits
"Zero" tolerance for bullsh*t

View Profile
on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:00 PM

What are some good emulators that you guys recommend, with built in AVI recording? I don't usually use Camtasia Studio, but it makes the emulators lag a lot, to the point where I have to stop recording, and for some reason, I can't get Stereo Mix on my Laptop for some reason or another (I use Vista BTW), so I've beem forced to resort to this, and most of the systems I want to record for, don't have emulators with this option built in.

Systems I want to record for - Nintendo 64, SNES, and Genesis.

Hope you guys can help!

-YouTube-Facebook-Twitter-Game Anyone-
-Wii : 6153-7922-4546-4586-Steam ID: VSigma100-
Full Player

Videos: 18
Guides: 3

970 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:49 PM

The usual recommendation is that you don't use emulator's for built in recording. The quality is lower and in my own experience it lags just as bad as Camtasia.

That aside I do know of a few emulators:

SNES:
 =====
   I believe that both SNES9x and ZSNES have built in avi recorders. I haven't had much success with using them... but the functionality is there.

Genesis:
 =======
   Fusion has a built in "Log AVI" feature. It's one of very few recording features that don't lag my computer.  That said... the videos that I've made seem to have alot of issues with skipped frames,audio desync and all sorts of unusable issues.

N64:
 ===
  I believe that I've heard about a video plugin for Project64 that allows recording... but I don't know for sure.

I'm definitely not a recording expert... so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Level 1 Director
Average Player

Videos: 930
Guides: 87

1,564 credits
Give Credits
PROFESSAH, I'VE SOLVED IT!

View Profile WWW
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:54 PM

N64:
 ===
  I believe that I've heard about a video plugin for Project64 that allows recording... but I don't know for sure.

I'm definitely not a recording expert... so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

An emulator called Mupen64 has a built in recorder, but It's kinda complicated, and I havent' had much luck with it.

Another good one is desmume, which would work for DS games. It runs slow while you are recording, but it looks good when you are done. It's better for post commentary or no commentary at all

Full Player

11,383 credits
Give Credits
The Gameanyone.com Greeter?

View Profile WWW
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:18 PM

I wouldn't bother using the built in recorder unless you're planning to do post commentary once you finish your video. Of course that's my personal opinion, but if you're wanting to make your videos that way anyhow, use ZSNES, it's the best SNES emulator out there (Again my personal opinion) and it does come with video recording capabilities. For recording post commentary, you can use Camtasia's Add Audio feature, although to be honest, I've never really played around with that option much. ^^;
The Caped Crusader
Full Player

Videos: 90
Guides: 6

3,150 credits
Give Credits
Let's Go Space Truckin'

View Profile WWW
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:08 PM

I can't honestly recommend any of them that are any good. Yeah, they're out there, but you pay for it in quality when you use the "convenient" method.

A caveat when using ZSNES, it does have a built-in recording feature but unless it's been updated since I last checked it's convoluted as all hell. You'll have to record a .zmv, then play it back in the emulator while simultaneously dumping it using another recording feature it has. Snes9x would probably be the easier option for most likely the same quality.

The secret to good quality videos:
I could use the S-Video splitter to my Dazzle for me to have better HD quality.
Master Noob

3,624 credits
Give Credits
No, it's not the Japanese flag...

View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:27:50 AM

Honestly, the only good (I use the word roughly and generously) built in AVI recorder is probably the one for VBA. From what I've tried, the quality looks quite good, but it's buggy as all hell. If you want simplicity, check out Hypercam 2 or Camstudio, which are better quality (if the correct settings), you can do post comm. or live comm easier, and free. Check 'em out.
Full Player

11,383 credits
Give Credits
The Gameanyone.com Greeter?

View Profile WWW
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:30:20 AM

I'll see your Hypercam and Camstudio and raise you the latest version of Fraps. As I have mentioned in other threads, Fraps is by far the best of the easy to use Screen Recorders and yields the best Audio and Video quality. Though the file sizes are huge, that can be remedied by rendering the movie files in Windows Movie Maker or any other video editing software you might have.
Master Player

Videos: 862
Guides: 158

1,027 credits
Give Credits
Yes...I DO play saxophone. Thanks.

View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:22 AM

If he is having trouble with Camtasia I think Fraps wouldn't be a good idea.  Fraps slows me down considerably unless I change around setting to speed it back up, although I could say try changing the codecs for lag issues.

I wouldn't use a built in recorder for anything.  Tried it once and it was off after 3 seconds.  Hence why I never put up my final fantasy adventure Lp.  I tried doing it with the GBA emulator AVI recorder.  Mistake!

Hey Freakazoid want to build a Go-Kart? 

DO I??
Master Noob

3,624 credits
Give Credits
No, it's not the Japanese flag...

View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:23 AM

I'll see your Hypercam and Camstudio and raise you the latest version of Fraps. As I have mentioned in other threads, Fraps is by far the best of the easy to use Screen Recorders and yields the best Audio and Video quality. Though the file sizes are huge, that can be remedied by rendering the movie files in Windows Movie Maker or any other video editing software you might have.

Agreed, but for starters, HyCam 2 is pretty good. Just don't use the Auto codec or any, for that matter
Level 1 Director
Average Player

Videos: 930
Guides: 87

1,564 credits
Give Credits
PROFESSAH, I'VE SOLVED IT!

View Profile WWW
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:57 PM

Honestly, the only good,  (I use the word roughly and generously) built in AVI recorder is probably the one for VBA. From what I've tried, the quality looks quite good, but it's buggy as all hell. If you want simplicity, check out Hypercam 2 or Camstudio, which are better quality (if the correct settings), you can do post comm. or live comm easier, and free. Check 'em out.

the VBA recorder records in horrible quality, The resolution is terribly small. I have to agree with Batman, none of them are very great, but if quality isn't really important to you, then by all means, go ahead.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: