Why should I sign up?
Post comments on videos.
Achievement Guide
SpongeBob SquarePants...
"Sea Warrior"

Complete a level without being...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The PS3's Minecraft?  (Read 20014 times)
Full Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

249 credits
Give Credits
...and then we stood still.

View Profile
on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:16 PM

Lately, I've been trying to find my ideal game. I've got the features I want down (almost like a shopping list) but all I need now is to actually find a game that fits them (almost like the store, in-turn).

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to describe what I'm looking for is a combination of TES IV Oblivion, Borderlands, and most of all, MINECRAFT.

The reason I've thrown Minecraft in there is because it seems to have every feature I love in video games. Replay-ability, big and colorful open world to explore and mess around with, easy to pick up and play, smooth mechanics, etc. Pretty much, a game where there's an insane amount of fun things to do with no set path and a decent amount of customization.

Now, before someone posts "OMG carbon ur such a retard just play minecraft then," I will say here and now that I simply CANNOT play Minecraft on my computer for two very frustrating reasons:
1) Credit Card or Paypal needed. Teenager. Parents. 'Nuff said xP
2) My computer is a 6 to 7-year-old Macintosh...again, 'nuff said xP

This is why I've created this thread. I'm looking for some recommendations based on this criteria/info for a game to play. I have done some research myself, but haven't had any luck in finding a good match.
Fallout: New Vegas probably has everything mentioned, but I've already asked for it this Christmas. With that said, it might not even meet up to what I'm hoping for...does it? (*cough* feedback cue *cough* lol)

I also don't like Just Cause 2, for those of you who were going to suggest that.

Other games out of the picture:
Fallout 3 (played it a million times)
Dead Rising 2 (have it, love it, but not the complete sandbox experience I want)
GTA IV and Saints Row 1 or 2 (going back to my parents, legit, these are the ONLY games they won't let me play)

Hopefully someone here with immense video game knowledge can help me. Is there any Minecraft-esque title out there for the Playstation 3, or at least something that closely resembles the stuff I mentioned? Is there anything on the PS Store you think I might like?

Thanks so much,
Jackson (Carbon/Klutch)

By the way, sorry for some of the weird shit I've been posting lately. Don't ask why I have, I'm just weird  Tongue

"Procrastination is like masturbation; feels good at first, but in the end you're only screwing yourself"
                                                                                  - Anonymous
Average Player

2,715 credits
Give Credits
Im Mushy 4 You

View Profile WWW
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:33 PM

I don't have a game for you but you can play Minecraft without a credit card for online.  You just go to the website make an account and click the server you want and hit join.  The payed version gives you more features....but, its still fun with the free one.  Also, I'm sure your computer could run Minecraft since its basically a lego playland.   

M4U + GA = SMEXY
Stealthy Master Thief
Master Expert

Videos: 1,786
Guides: 40

81,947 credits
Give Credits
Frosty cheese with a slice of backstab

View Profile WWW
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:45:12 PM

You'd be rather surprised Mushy. Even though it's a "lego playland" as you put it... the game is heavy on the processes because it's designed in Java. It has major issues including memory leaks and can be massive in size when being played for a legoland (sometimes 1 to 2GB in memory). This definitely isn't an ideal legoland to play on an old PC unless you want to watch it smoke.

Icy wishes,
FrozenFoxy

Aim for the moon, hope for nothing, and be surprised with what you get.

Simon: At 7AM tomorrow morning with 5 billion dollars worth of off the shelf technology, I'm gonna answer the greatest question of all time.
Ned: Why do men have nipples?
Simon: ...You're a philistine.
~The Big Bang (2011)

"Ever walk into a room and forget what you're looking for? Now what was I looking for... why are you asking you?! You don't f*ckin' know!" - Lee Evans

"Playing GTA to obey traffic laws is like playing Dead Rising to go shopping." - Alex from YT

Currently working on:

Something! I'll surprise ya.
Master Player

163 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:46 AM

I think this is a job for Body Harvest, a N64 game.

A bit retro but very fun. You can either run it on console (if you have a N64) or use an emulator which will not be at all taxing considering it is a Nintendo 64 game.

\"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few
drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.\" MOHANDAS K. GANDHI.
Full Player

Videos: 18
Guides: 3

970 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:53:48 PM

I don't own a PS3 but I think your best bet to be like Minecraft is Little Big Planet.

Both game's were created with the desire to have the player design and shape the world around them. Between the custom levels and the downloadable ones you should have plenty of things to do.

I've seen some pretty unique and amazing things created with the LBP engine, so it may be worth a thought.
Master Player

1,357 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:11:37 PM

I don't own a PS3 but I think your best bet to be like Minecraft is Little Big Planet.

Both game's were created with the desire to have the player design and shape the world around them. Between the custom levels and the downloadable ones you should have plenty of things to do.

I've seen some pretty unique and amazing things created with the LBP engine, so it may be worth a thought.

You should probbably wait for the second game which is due to release soon. You have far more customizable options in that game that you actually can create levels that aren't considered platforming from what I understand but for example, puzzle, shooters or other type of games.

Full Noob

Videos: 15
Guides: 1

122 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:20:49 PM

You should probbably wait for the second game which is due to release soon. You have far more customizable options in that game that you actually can create levels that aren't considered platforming from what I understand but for example, puzzle, shooters or other type of games.

IM a big fan of LBP. This is my ground, so if i may.

LBP2 lets you basicaly create any genre of game. There putting the main catch for it an upgarde from a platform agme to a platform for games. I got to play the beta at a friends and you can literaly make anything. The "Making" process is a lot harder than LBP 1 but ivge seen people make full rpg in multiple levels, shooters where you walk around and games liek from an i-phone. The biggest new feauture is 6 axsi controll which let's you bvasicaly map a button to an action.

It releases somewhere between January 10th ande 25th (I know because its liek a week befor my BD)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: