Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Final Fantasy XII The...
"Fated Meeting"

Rescued the Princess of...

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Author Topic: Anime: Japanese vs English  (Read 3226 times)
Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,057 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »

doesnt matter to me because if the story is great why complain ... btw bart simpson is voiced by a female voice actress

Sometimes it's right to get it wrong, Live for the moment , Sing for the song - Melanie Doane
Semi-Expert

16,593 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »

The Simpsons is not Anime, because it's not Japanese. Anime refers to... well... Japanese animations.

Master Player

15,057 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »

i know what anime is i was just pointing it out ... i do watch alot of older anime ... and i guess it doesnt really matter that much to me if it dub or sub , but that is just me

Sometimes it's right to get it wrong, Live for the moment , Sing for the song - Melanie Doane
Full Player

Videos: 18
Guides: 3

15,970 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:06:47 AM »

Fine. I'll be the one to say English. I'd rather actually understand what I'm hearing rather than have to focus in order to get anything from it.

People alway's talk about how English dubs are laughable... and that the Japanese are great... yet very few of these people actually understand Japanese. Most of the Japanese speakers I know have told me that the Japanese dubs are just as silly as the americanized versions.

Besides, Japanese always use the stereotypical voices that are so overdone that I can't take them seriously (Any more than american at least). I find it annoying to hear the "I'm a MAN!" voice that is deeper than the grand canyon, or the "ooooh... I'm a 16 year old who talks like a three year old to get the cute appeal." Nearly all anime can be summed up to a total of about 7 voices depending on which stereotype they are. Seriously, if I ever meet ANYONE who actually talks with a normal speaking voice as deep as the anime Tough Guy/Mob Boss/School Ruffian, I'll take back everything I said.

I don't have anything actually against watching it in Japanese, and I do so whenever I need to. I would just rather understand what it is that I'm hearing.  I'm willing to suspend my disbelief at voice acting either way.

Average Player

Videos: 509
Guides: 16

21,514 gold
Give Gold
To the stars and beyond!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 02:05:02 AM »

I prefer the Japanese when it's readily available. In many cases, the Japanese versions of the anime have better story, less shit added just to extend the series (i.e. U.S. Naruto which has so many unnecessary sub-arcs without any purpose in future or past story arcs), better music (Episode 61 of the Kirby anime: compare the Japanese and English versions, and you'll hear the difference. Big time.), and most of the original material (since Japan doesn't believe in the FCC).

Current Projects:
Just read the list on my Youtube page; it's impossible to keep up on here anymore.

Full Noob

15,102 gold
Give Gold
Summer College Going to be Fun

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »

If the English characters voices suck then I prefer to watch the anime in Japanese with english subtitles if they are available

There are three kinds of shit-relaxed shit, angry shit and what-the-f***-happened-to-my-house shit.
Average Player

Videos: 1,105
Guides: 55

18,221 gold
Give Gold
Quick get me a shotgun a cappuccino and a knife!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »

I like both equally, usually it's a case of "whatever i hear first wins" but in some cases like G-Gundam I liked the english dub more cause the voices fitted their roles better, at least to me they did.
In other cases like Evangelion I liked both equally, because they were both pretty damn good (well for the main cast at least).

And then we have the "oldies" like Getter Robo G, Mazinger Z and many, many more that got raped in their english version.
[nerd rage mode] Getter Robo G!  NOT STAR DRAGON 1! THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS [/nerd rage mode]

However most "modern" stuff is pretty good nowadays. (again my opinion, if yours if different then it's fine by me too).
The only thing I really can't stand is when they change plot in the dub for no good reason, other then that I have no issue with watching it in english.
Master Noob

-3,409 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »

English, of course.

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Jump to: