Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: Folk Metal (Celtic, Viking, etc..)  (Read 944 times)
Expert

Videos: 878
Guides: 25

16,374 gold
Give Gold
Total War Strategy

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »

Thought I'd start a thread about this, because there aren't too many references to Folk Metal throughout the forums.

What Folk Metal is, is a subgenre of Heavy Metal.  That Places emphasis on a particular Culture, to create songs, and sounds that mimic the stories, mythologies and instruments of Medieval Cultures.  The most popular being the Vikings, and Celtic Peoples.  These bands tend to incorporate older, traditional Instruments, like Bagpipes, and Mandolins/lutes, banjos, whistles, basses, and flutes.  To help create sounds that are mimicries of Traditional musical styles.  And they also tend to Dress the part.  (You can mistake them for LARPers if you aren't careful).  They even tend to incorporate some old poetic, or musical lines from history's mythologies.

Some bands in this genre are:  Ensiferum (my favourite Folk Metal Band), and Turisas; both Viking type.  Another good one is Cruachan, a Celtic style.

So, what are your thoughts on Folk Metal?  And anything else concerning it.  I usually tend to dislike most folk metal, because a majority have a rough singing style, which I really dislike.  I prefer Clean Vocals.  But I can overlook if I like the band enough.  And some of these bands have some really nice Choruses.

"Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"
Noob
Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,216 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »

I'm not sure if this is "folk" as such but I listen to alot of Irish rebel music

example:

I'm not sure if its folk or not.
Expert

Videos: 878
Guides: 25

16,374 gold
Give Gold
Total War Strategy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »

No, that's totally Folk.  it's just missing the METAL!!!  lol  Tongue

"Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"