Why should I sign up?
Get involved with the community.
Achievement Guide
Brothers - A Tale of Two...
"Turtle Soup"

Lift, Drop, Slide, Plop!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube - Unlisted option  (Read 16643 times)
Master Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

0 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
on: May 18, 2010, 06:03:03 AM

A new option in YouTube is available: "Unlisted".

What does it mean?
It means that the video will be invisible for everyone and just person having the link can see it and there's no 25 people limit.

This might be a new way for making Exclusives or avoiding companies finding your videos and copyrighting it BUT:

1. YOU must have YT account in good standing to have this option enabled!
2. NO ONE on YT will be able to see it without link. to it

As you can see, the option is grayed - that means my account is not in good standing because of Star Wars claim. The option is also available when uploading.

This would be more work from the uploader to collect the links and pass it to GA but 100% no one will find these videos.

State your opinion.
#1 source for games from the 90s
Expert

Videos: 988
Guides: 31

562 credits
Give Credits
If you can play it, then you can beat it!

View Profile WWW
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:35:30 AM

Here is the help page:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=181547

Haha! What a joke! Cant test this new feature because one of my video blogs was branded as copyright violation by the World Wrestling Federation by mistake and now I got a first warning for this bullshit. Impossible to remove the warning in any way because there is no option to complain against it.
However. Someone could create an anonymous open channel, uploading one minutes out of any star wars clone wars episode with that new option and check if it gets removed. But I dont think that unlisted means that copyright owners cant find it. It could be just for ordinary users.

Expert

503 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:52:52 AM

Impossible to remove the warning in any way because there is no option to complain against it.

Can't believe it, no chance to appeal a wrong conviction? What kind of dictatorship is that? All hail Comrade Youtube?

The world doesn't turn on logic.

In Soviet Russia, the internet searches you!
Master Noob

0 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:54 AM

Haha! What a joke! Cant test this new feature because one of my video blogs was branded as copyright violation by the World Wrestling Federation by mistake and now I got a first warning for this bullshit. Impossible to remove the warning in any way because there is no option to complain against it.

Well I got a "Strike 1" from Cartoon Networks for uploading Star Wars, so I'll never be able to use this function on this account and that sucks. At least just only one video was pulled down.

As stated it doesn't appear in search engines so if companies doesn't get exclusive search then it's impossible to find.
Full Player

145 credits
Give Credits
Bombing the world's games

View Profile WWW
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:47 AM

For a few weeks ago I had about 60 copyright claims. Today after trying to dispute them all, then I only have about 16. Also I've got some deleted videos back and some muted videos are now unmuted Smiley So I am able to make them unlisted Smiley But if people can't find these videos, then Gameanyone are not getting any traffic from users on youtube, and the contributers will not be able to gain more fans.

Expert

562 credits
Give Credits

View Profile WWW
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:58:42 AM

Can't believe it, no chance to appeal a wrong conviction? What kind of dictatorship is that? All hail Comrade Youtube?

Once the video got deleted by yourself, its impossible to clear the mistakenly made strike. I was young and stupid Sad

As stated it doesn't appear in search engines so if companies doesn't get exclusive search then it's impossible to find.

True words. Honestly, if you have a strike, then you need to create a new account anyway. This feature could help to avoid stupid video names and brings back order to the "hidden" videos. It would be easier to manage play lists and video order. My question is: Can someone find my video through visiting my channel page? In this case, you still need to make the channel page totally anonymous again or at least giving it a stubborn name, so nobody can find it. This results again into the same sort of ghost account.

Expert

562 credits
Give Credits

View Profile WWW
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:01 AM

But if people can't find these videos, then Gameanyone are not getting any traffic from users on youtube, and the contributers will not be able to gain more fans.

Thats the reason why people create ghost guides on youtube, bomb ^^. The guides are created to be exclusive.

Master Noob

0 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:58 AM

My question is: Can someone find my video through visiting my channel page? In this case, you still need to make the channel page totally anonymous again or at least giving it a stubborn name, so nobody can find it. This results again into the same sort of ghost account.

An unlisted video is a different type of private video. "Unlisted" means that only people who know the link to the video can view it (such as friends or family to whom you send the link). An unlisted video will not appear in any of YouTube's public spaces (such as search results, your channel, or the Browse page).

Info: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=181547
Full Player

145 credits
Give Credits
Bombing the world's games

View Profile WWW
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:44:42 AM

Thats the reason why people create ghost guides on youtube, bomb ^^. The guides are created to be exclusive.

Damn NICE!!!! - So youtube will not be able to see it and copyright claim them. This means that you are able to upload walkthroughs that are completely new and filled with copyright claims. So it is kinda just like a gameanyone exclusive. this time it is just uploaded to youtube Smiley

Expert

503 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:24 PM

Damn NICE!!!! - So youtube will not be able to see it and copyright claim them. This means that you are able to upload walkthroughs that are completely new and filled with copyright claims. So it is kinda just like a gameanyone exclusive. this time it is just uploaded to youtube Smiley

Youtube will most likely be able to see those guides. To be sure how it works, someone should try to upload a guide with the unlisted option.

The world doesn't turn on logic.

In Soviet Russia, the internet searches you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: