Game Search

Forum Search

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Author Topic: Do you like Marble Madness?  (Read 1285 times)
Master Player

Videos: 5
Guides: 5

19,880 gold
Give Gold
Gamers Unite, ya know?

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »

I've been a big Marble Madness fan ever since the release of their game. Before that I didn't really understand any of EA's work, I did enjoy the lovely "Abrams Battle Tank" Otherwise all the games before Marble Madness seemed too artsy, too intellectual. It was Marble Madness, where Yamaha DX7 synthesizer's presence became more apparent, and the music got more modern, the drum machine became more prevalent and the beats started getting less mystical and more specific (maybe because of the 2 bit sound chip's departure), and complex, ambiguous studies of awesome became, instead, smashing first rate 16 bit songs that I gratefully embraced. The songs themselves seemed arranged more around Yamaha DX7 synthesizer's drumming than than the sound effects or or graphics. A classic example of this is "Beginner race" level, which not only was the game's first big hit of the eighties but also seemed to set the tone for the rest of the games as the decade progressed. The other standout on Marble Madness is "Practice Race," which is about the negative effects of the black ball. On the other hand, "Areal Race" is a song I just don't understand. "Game Over" and "Congratulations" might mean something but since the keyboard notes aren't printed it's hard to tell what Yamaha DX7 synthesizer is playing, though there is complex, gorgeous piano work by EA on the latter track. The only bummer about Marble Madness is "Silly Race," which is way too reminiscent of the OST for "Heart Of Africa" for the commodore 64, and the only example, really, of where EA has plagiarized itself.
Intermediate Race is the game's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility, at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three EA games. It has a resonance that keeps coming back at the listener, and the music is so beautiful that it's almost impossible to shake off because every song makes some connection about the unknown or the spaces between people. You can practically hear every nuance of every synthesized instrument. In terms of Yamaha craftsmanship and sheer songwriting skills this song hits a new peak of professionalism. A great, great song; Personal Favorite.
Marble Madness' other efforts seem to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way, especially  the sega master system's "Ultimate Race" " which I'm not alone in thinking is better than the original. But I also think that Marbles Madness works better within the confines of the game than as a commercial album – and I stress the word game.

Check out the music at:
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/VGMPF/Game.php?Id=MarbleMadness-NES
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:27:12 PM by Severed » Logged

Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,248 gold
Give Gold
PS3 Gamer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »

ok.

Quote from: Ezio
A minute is all I need!... wait... that came out wrong...
Quote from: GLaD0S
I think we can put our differences behind us... for science... you monster.
Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

17,248 gold
Give Gold
PS3 Gamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »

Actually the music is really good, pure retro.

Quote from: Ezio
A minute is all I need!... wait... that came out wrong...
Quote from: GLaD0S
I think we can put our differences behind us... for science... you monster.

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: