Game Search

Forum Search

Achievement Guide
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden
"Winners don't skip"

Finish 3 mini-games in a row...

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Author Topic: What's the difference between "Let's Play" and "Walkthrough"?  (Read 30739 times)
Average Player

Videos: 327
Guides: 20

28,143 gold
Give Gold
É nóis qui tá, cachorro!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

Hey guys, my very 1st post here...finally a place where I can talk what I love  Grin

I've been watching some videos and I want to know the difference between "Let's Play" and "Walkthrough" videos.

Thank you very much.

Semi-Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

15,421 gold
Give Gold
Versus the World

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »

Let's Play = playthrough with voice commentary or sometimes text commentary (and on certain websites they're in the screenshot format) ranging from informative to funny and everything in between, they play the game how they want to basically.

Walkthrough = playthrough where the player tries to cover everything in the game.
Semi-Expert

Videos: 27
Guides: 1

17,060 gold
Give Gold
Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO ride polar bears.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »

A walkthtough is more like a guide. They people literally Walk you Through the game (Hense the name)

While a Let's Play, is just a recording, just for the sake of playing the game. Not trying to cover much, just a quick, just for fun playthrough of the game.

Commentary can be used on either one, but you'll want to change your style of commentary depending on which of the above you're going for.

TheCeeBeeKid Wink
Stealthy Master Thief
Master Expert

Videos: 1,921
Guides: 40

100,947 gold
Give Gold
Frosty cheese with a slice of backstab

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

Definitely interesting to hear these definitions. I started doing Let's Plays due to inspiration from watching other Let's Players. However, I never really took the difference between Let's Plays and Walkthroughs beyond thinking that a Let's Play had commentary and Walkthroughs were silent. The definitions listed here make quite a good deal of sense. Great first question, jellyalv! I know I sure appreciate the definition knowledge even though I didn't expect to hear anything different from what I had thought in the past. Well, at least the way I do Let's Plays seems to be on target with what it's meant to represent anyway. Not that I'd change the way I do them just to please someone else, but hey... good to know I'm naming my videos properly!

Icy wishes,
FrozenFoxy

Aim for the moon, hope for nothing, and be surprised with what you get.

Simon: At 7AM tomorrow morning with 5 billion dollars worth of off the shelf technology, I'm gonna answer the greatest question of all time.
Ned: Why do men have nipples?
Simon: ...You're a philistine.
~The Big Bang (2011)

"Ever walk into a room and forget what you're looking for? Now what was I looking for... why are you asking you?! You don't f*ckin' know!" - Lee Evans

"Playing GTA to obey traffic laws is like playing Dead Rising to go shopping." - Alex from YT

Currently working on:

Something! I'll surprise ya.
Master Noob

Videos: 1,779
Guides: 18

15,584 gold
Give Gold
Hail To The King Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »

I have the same definition as the others here.

Lets Play is the same thing as a Playthrough. With those it is just the person playing through the game period. No huge focus on doing everything in the game.

Where as a Walkthrough (to me) is the videos done in a way where after watching the videos, you are armed with all the information you need to do everything in that particular game if you choose to.

Check Out My Video Game Playthroughs on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatKingChiba
Master Player

17,248 gold
Give Gold
PS3 Gamer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »

Good to know, I just assumed that they were different names for the same thing. Except Let's Plays always had a bit more personality in them rather than information, so that explains it.

Quote from: Ezio
A minute is all I need!... wait... that came out wrong...
Quote from: GLaD0S
I think we can put our differences behind us... for science... you monster.
Director
Average Player

Videos: 8,833
Guides: 547

72,748 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »

Although some people who wanna see you do a Let's Play of a game want you to 100% it all. To them, they consider it a walkthrough with an entertainment factor. But yeah, I agree with the above definitions too. If you wanna do a Let's Play, you CAN get everything in a game if you want to, just for the purpose of showing people using your LP as a walkthrough how it's done. But it's entirely up to your style how you wanna do things. That's what gives a Let's Player/Playthrougher a unique personality...that usually results in a fanbase if they catch on to it. None of that begging or demanding for subs crap will get you far, that's for sure. It's all about the style.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder." ~ Random person in a Castlevania: Simon's Quest ROM hack.
Full Noob

15,016 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »

This is good to know because i thought that a LP was a complete walkthrough with commentary and a walkthrough was just walking through the game without commentary and without getting all the secrets that are hidden in a game.

Master Noob

15,905 gold
Give Gold

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »

That's interesting, I never really knew the difference between those two types.
#1 source for games from the 90s
Expert

Videos: 981
Guides: 31

64,872 gold
Give Gold
If you can play it, then you can beat it!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:14 AM »

The definitions amused me.

For me, I see no difference between all these terms (LP, Wtru). Its the same for me, with or without commentary does not matter to me.

As I started I did non-commentary videos and named them Playtrough Part 1,2,3 etc. I always wanted to have a 100% or at least 98% guide for my audience. Always with the invitation to post comments if I forgot to find a secret area or other interesting places. I played every level one or two times before I finally recorded it. I wanted to make sure that I dont die much and if I died multiple times on the same point, then I edited the deaths I loved the most in a humorous way and added an entertainment factor.

Blind LPs are the worst and I dont wanna watch something like this, unless the player is an expert in the sort of game.

Pages: [1] 2 3
 Print 

Jump to: