Why should I sign up?
Get involved with the community.
Android app on Google Play

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Rushmore. Fifth Candidate?  (Read 3018 times)
Master Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

163 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:01 PM

A monument to the great American Presidents : George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.

To my knowledge, this monument is to commemorate these four great Presidents in American history. Surely since then there must have been a liable President who could fill the fifth place of Mt. Rushmore?

Don't worry about space on the mountain, just choose who you think should be the 5th head on Mt. Rushmore and WHY.

\"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few
drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.\" MOHANDAS K. GANDHI.
Expert

Videos: 879
Guides: 25

1,374 credits
Give Credits
Total War Strategy

View Profile WWW
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:23 PM

Andrew Jackson.  The FIRST, and ONLY good Democrat.

As well as one of my favourite Presidents.  Not because of his term, which I agreed with, even though it is remembered poorly (especially the Indian removal, which I didn't agree with), it's not about what they did as president.  but what they did for the US.  And Andrew Jackson was a Military General, and good one at that.  And was the last of the 7 founding Presidents.

James Madison can also qualify though.  He acted as a General during the War of 1812, and did a good job of keeping the US in the fight, and the British out of it.  As well as being the central figure of the development of the US constitution.

-EDIT-
ACTUALLY, why not put Benjamin Franklin up there.  He is the real Father of America.  And why not.  He may not be president but he's on the $100 bill.  lol
Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:38:57 PM by JoeSchulz Logged

"Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"
Expert

503 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:34:57 PM

I actually agree on your choices Joe. Can't think of anyone else.

The world doesn't turn on logic.

In Soviet Russia, the internet searches you!
Master Player

Videos: 5
Guides: 5

4,880 credits
Give Credits
Gamers Unite, ya know?

View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 05:28:08 PM

In my opininon i think that Barack Obama should be up there because he has done a lot to help make the country more equal as the first black president imho.

Semi-Expert

Videos: 94
Guides: 13

173 credits
Give Credits

View Profile WWW
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:56 PM

In my opininon i think that Barack Obama should be up there because he has done a lot to help make the country more equal as the first black president imho.

Agreed. But I know a lot of people would hate that idea.

Master Player

Videos: 5
Guides: 5

4,880 credits
Give Credits
Gamers Unite, ya know?

View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:28 PM

Agreed. But I know a lot of people would hate that idea.
why? obama is one of the better presidents we've had in a while.

Expert

503 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:27:28 PM

why? obama is one of the better presidents we've had in a while.

You said it, one of the BETTER, not one of the BEST. He still needs to prove himself a bit more.

The world doesn't turn on logic.

In Soviet Russia, the internet searches you!
Expert

Videos: 1,891
Guides: 45

33,168 credits
Give Credits
http://i3.ytimg.com/i/nlCUlIlK2JtnSJGVs3Xl2A/1.jpg

View Profile WWW
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:29:59 PM

George Bush  Grin

In-Progress Walkthroughs:

Expert Noob

2,321 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:39 AM

John F Kennedy
Expert

Videos: 879
Guides: 25

1,374 credits
Give Credits
Total War Strategy

View Profile WWW
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:48:17 PM

I think James K. Polk would make a decent Addition.  Seeing as he created the current Borders of the USA.  He set the border with Canada and through the Mexican-American War he set the border with the Mexico.  As well as gaining control over Oregon Territory, by threatening war with Great Britain, they backed down, and we got Oregon, and they got pushed back into Canada.

He realised the American Dream of Manifest Destiny.  And Was probably the last Great President Before the Civil War, and the last good one after Jackson, of whom he was a strong Supported.

I would name him as number 5 in terms of the Greatest American presidents, and grant him Access to Mount Rushmore.

(My top 5 list of US Presidents)
1.  George Washington
2.  Andrew Jackson
3.  Thomas Jefferson
4.  James Madison
5.  James K. Polk

And for the other posters.  You can't just put any president up there.  There needs to be a good reason.  They needed to have been a firm leader of the US, and do something to create change for the better of the USA.  Either during their Presidency, or during their Political/Military Era.

And I still take a firm stand that Jackson would be a decent decision. 

As well as my earlier comment about Benjamin Franklin, of which helped create the Department of the State.  Alongside Jefferson and Adams.  As well as creating the US system of Currency.  And numerous other things, like the all important USPS (Or the US Postal Service).

"Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: