Why should I sign up?
Get involved with the community.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial: How to use Fraps to record gameplay footage with commentary  (Read 38032 times)
Noob

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

167 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:19 AM

Skorch82, how big file you get when done recording? When I record 3-4 minutes, its 1.XX GB.
Expert Noob

Videos: 125
Guides: 8

1,141 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:33 AM

That's normal. Fraps only slightly compresses the video and as a result the files are quite large.

Noob

126 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:07:44 AM

Hi, I use Xfire to record my gamefootage. It works fine for me. I have used fraps before but it makes my computer lag. Xfire makes it easy to record with commentary, it lowers the gamesound when you start talking and bumps it up again when you stop talking.

I find that very useful.
Canada  Myke
Full Noob

950 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:06 PM

Thanks for the tutorial, however I pretty much knew everything in the video. The only thing I didn't know was the full/half size, so thanks for that.
Noob

385 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

Since this is the Fraps tutorial thread, I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask this.

When I am recording video for Tomb Raider Anniversary, in the second level there is a place where you are supposed to jump off of a ledge onto another.  For whatever reason Lara will not grab the ledge when I am recording with Fraps... I know it is not coincidence because I ran through the jump 10 times, alternating with Fraps recording, and with it off (or open but not recording) and it happened only when recording, and every time I was recording.

This is also the place where you are supposed to learn how to do a saving grab if you cut your jump too close (pressing action button to secure your hold if you hit the ledge with one hand) And a little tutorial box is supposed to pop up...

This is the only place I have noticed this, or any other problems with Fraps recording... Any idea why this might be happening? Is it just a fluke, and since I am past that point in my LP, should I just ignore it and pretend it never happened?

Thank you for any info you might be able to give!
Starter

20 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 05:30:28 AM

You mentioned in your video that with the start of Frapps 3 you can record your commentary at the same time. You said this leads to very minor, if any, desync issues. Why then do you use Camtasia Studio?
Noob
Videos: 13
Guides: 1

101 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 04:01:19 AM

Ok I tried this tutourial but the game audio is much louder than my mics. Help please?
Average Player

Videos: 532
Guides: 59

0 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 04:30:21 AM

Ok I tried this tutourial but the game audio is much louder than my mics. Help please?

Do you record Commentary with FRAPS? or do you use Audacity etc. to record commentary?

If FRAPS: you have to set the audio levels in game and check whether the levels are fine. IF they're still too high, lower the volume in the game even more and so on. Note that in game audio levels may increase when there's a lot of action going. That's why most prefer to use audio recorders like Audacity so that they can adjust the levels properly.

If Audio Recording software: You adjust the audio levels in video editing software.

Noob
Videos: 13
Guides: 1

101 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:07 AM

Do you record Commentary with FRAPS? or do you use Audacity etc. to record commentary?

If FRAPS: you have to set the audio levels in game and check whether the levels are fine. IF they're still too high, lower the volume in the game even more and so on. Note that in game audio levels may increase when there's a lot of action going. That's why most prefer to use audio recorders like Audacity so that they can adjust the levels properly.

If Audio Recording software: You adjust the audio levels in video editing software.

So if I switched to audacity for recording sound how would I go about syncing it up?

Right now I have fraps to record my mics sound and my voice as I have the game audio coming out of my speakers. I don't have  a headset right now as it broke.
Average Player

Videos: 532
Guides: 59

0 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 06:53:34 AM

You save the recorded commentary from Audacity to a file and then import it to video editing software. There you add your video (you should get 1st track - video, 2nd track - game audio) and to 3rd track add your commentary. Most commentators say a phrase that helps them sync video\audio and commentary. Then you must go through your video (in video editing software) and align (removing\trimming the beginning of your commentary and if needed adjusting it's position) your commentary so it's in correct place. For this method most of the free software doesn't have features as 3 tracks and you can't split the videos, but it's the only way to easily adjust your commentary and game volume. If you have software like Vegas or Premiere then you're good to go.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: