Why should I sign up?
Get involved with the community.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make a Lets Play of a PC game.  (Read 12690 times)
Full Noob

Videos: 148
Guides: 7

19 credits
Give Credits
Youtube: SkittlesAreTasty

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:12:56 AM »

First I would like to say that while I am a newbie LPer, I DO know how to record good quality and sync it right.

Alright so a lot of people have trouble with recording so let me explain how I personally choose to do it.

Step 1: Get FRAPS, the full version. I dont care if you pirate it or buy it, but you NEED the full version.
Step 2: Set up FRAPS's hotkeys so that they dont conflict with the game that you are trying to record. I use F9.
Step 3: Get an editing program, whether it be Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier, it really doesnt matter. I use Vegas, so that it what I will be covering.
Step 4: Now this one is a problem a lot of people have. Getting it to record game audio AND your voice. Some people like to turn on their speakers and put the mic near them. What I do is since I have vista, FRAPS will detect a sound input called "Vista Direct Stream" which will record ALL of our PC sounds. Now for my mic I use Windows Sound Recorder in the Accessories folder of the start menu.
Step 5: Now that you have your audio set up, you may be wondering "Hey Alex, when are you gonna shut the f*ck up and let me play?" Well I have an answer for you. Right about now Cheesy. Launch your game and make sure you can see the FRAPS FPS counter. if not keep pressing F12 and see if it shows. If not then you are basically screwed because FRAPS cant record that game. If it DOES show, then make sure your mic audio is recording on your separate program, start recording, and have a ball!
Step 6: What, you didnt think that would be the end of it did you? We are just getting started! Remember how I said to get an editing program? Wel now it comes into play right here! Find out where your game recorded to, and keep note of that folder. Like I said before I use sony vegas so that is what I will discuss.
Step 7: Open up Vegas, and go straight to the "Project Media" tab.
Step 8: Press the "Import Media" button on the top of the screen, next to the lightning bolt.
Step 9: Remember waaaaay back 15 seconds ago when I said to remember that folder? Well go to that folder and select alllll of the video footage you recorded and open it in Vegas.
Step 9: Start putting your files into the timeline IN THE RIGHT ORDER!!!!!!! Just in case you didnt see that IN THE RIGHT ORDER!!!!!!!
Step 10: Now this is what I personally do and a LOT of you are gonna give me crap. When all of your files are in the timeline, go to File, Render As. Now you will get a box. Follow Skorch82's tutorial to figure out what to save it as. It is stickied in the Tutorials section.
Step 11: Now after that shits done  rendering, go find that shit and load that shit into Windows Movie Maker.
Step 12: Yo know how I said record into a separate file for your mic audio? Go find that shit and remember the folder its in.
Step 13: Load that shit into Movie Maker with your OTHER video shit, and put both of them into the timeline.
Step 14: Keep messing with the files in the timeline till your mic is synced with your game audio.
Step 15: Publish the movie again, with the best settings possible. Probably the DV-AVI setting.
Step 16: Now take the shit you just made, and load it into Windows Movie Maker AGAIN!!!!!!
Step 17: Start using the "Split Video Here" Button around every 10 minute mark andsave each of them as separate files.
Step 18: Upload that shit to GameAnyone and Youtube.
Step 19: give me $10

Average Player

Videos: 0
Guides: 0

342 credits
Give Credits
The Master of the Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »

Holy sh*t! Too much steps! Shocked

Anyways, I don't need to record a PC game... Tongue

But this is really useful.

This is just a replacement signature. My other signature is stored in one of the drawers of my desk. Tongue
Use Your F*cking Brain!
Ultimate Gaming Machine

295 credits
Give Credits
I play it for fun and entertainment!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »

Why would you render 3 different times and using two programs?

You can do all that in Vegas, one time, and split into 10-min regions.

Join the GameAnyone Team

How To Add Your Videos

Official Forum Rules

Quote from: Darius320
My dream job that I've been dreamed of the most is become an comedian actress and advanced gamer.
#1 source for games from the 90s
Expert

Videos: 988
Guides: 31

562 credits
Give Credits
If you can play it, then you can beat it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »

skorch is right, why do you use 3 programs for every little thing. Just use vegas b/c it can handle all the steps you do with different programs. Another reason to only use one software is that the more you render the video or audio, the worst is the final result. For example, I only use camtasia studio for every step, it can record and edit audio and video very well. No need to spend so much time into a video.

Full Noob

Videos: 148
Guides: 7

19 credits
Give Credits
Youtube: SkittlesAreTasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »

Because i am a noob with vegas

Use Your F*cking Brain!
Ultimate Gaming Machine

295 credits
Give Credits
I play it for fun and entertainment!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

Because i am a noob with vegas

Tutorials that address this stuff have been posted here.

Join the GameAnyone Team

How To Add Your Videos

Official Forum Rules

Quote from: Darius320
My dream job that I've been dreamed of the most is become an comedian actress and advanced gamer.
Average Player

342 credits
Give Credits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »

I agree with skorch32.

This is just a replacement signature. My other signature is stored in one of the drawers of my desk. Tongue
Full Player

Videos: 8
Guides: 3

249 credits
Give Credits
Prince Charming

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »

I agree with skorch32.

did i miss something, is there another skorch? he cloned himself didnt he, but why choose 32....
hmmm i'll have to ponder that for a moment Wink
Average Player

342 credits
Give Credits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

did i miss something, is there another skorch? he cloned himself didnt he, but why choose 32....
hmmm i'll have to ponder that for a moment Wink

woah! i spelt that username wrong... sorry! Cheesy

Master Noob

119 credits
Give Credits

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

i'm trying to record starcraft with fraps and everytime it saves to the file even though i have record sound checked there's no sound

niente è la verità, tutto è permesso
Nothing is the truth, Everything is permitted.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: